1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Distressing report on Paul Newman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Smasher_Sloan, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Flash

Flash Guest

Let 'em know you're there, Reg.

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I loved The Color of Money. Of course he should have received an Oscar for a half-dozen earlier films first, but a lot of those awards over the years have been baffling. Doesn't take away from that performance.

I wish I'd gotten into auto racing coverage earlier in my career so I could have seen him at the track.

3. Chef

Chef Active Member

Ditto on The Color of Money.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Old-time hockey!

5. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

The first time, I read it the way you did. The second time, I thought perhaps the kids were distraught because he's giving up possessions and preparing for his death.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Saw him at the Detroit Grand Prix a couple of times... guy was a pied piper...

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Very sad to hear this.

In the middle 80s, some genius decided running an Indy Car race on a temporary road course around the Meadowlands parking lots was a good idea to try to capture the New York market.
    So, for 7 years I became a parttiime Indy Car writer. Newman was always hanging around the pits on practice and qualifying days, always cordial and glad to talk --about racing, never about himself. And to anyone who addressed him as Mr. Newman, his simply reply was "I'm just Paul."

8. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

I think this is correct. It says the kids are struggling to come to grips with the fact that he's basically ready to die, and givign the car away is another sign that he thinks the end is near.

There's a real good story about him in the newest Vanity Fair, basically a recap of his entire life, from the movies to the charity to the racing to the marriage to Woodward.

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/09/newman200809

9. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Going out on his terms...the epitome of cool, even to the end.

10. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

What a loss this will be. I know Newman's Own is only part of the charitable work the two of them have done. He's backed some very worthwhile environmental causes-- and he was doing that long before it was cool.

I pray for the whole family's peace and comfort.

11. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Thanks for that Vanity Fair link. I just happened to watch The Verdict for the first time yesterday. Man, what a great actor. Seemed like a very cool, humble guy. And those two things definitely don't always go together.

I talked to a guy (much lesser-known actor) who worked on a movie with him once, and Newman seems like the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with. And he'd act just like "one of the guys" in the process.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

50 years of marriage is one hell of a run, never mind for a second marriage. Even the right-wing goobs on the morning radio show couldn't say enough nice things about him this morning.

And if my boy still says he can eat 50 eggs, he can eat 50 eggs.

Draft saved Draft deleted