1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disney's Death Star is calling me

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dixiehack, Jan 28, 2008.

1. We're not big fans of MGM ... it's geared more toward adults and we had a 6 year old and 3 year old when we were there last year. Not to say there aren't things at MGM for the kids, but it's older movie based, so a lot of the attractions will be over your little one's head. Epcot's a toss-up unless your kid drinks beer ... then it's a must see ;D There are a lot of "learning" things that a 5 year old could get something out of. We have some great pictures of our kids in lab coats and plastic scientist looking glasses from Epcot last time. Of course, Magic Kingdom is the place to be with a 5 year old. We usually spend two days there, one or two at Epcot and one at Animal Kingdom.

Definitely agree with the fireworks shows being must sees. "Wishes" at Magic Kingdom and "Reflections of Earth" at Epcot are family favorites.

2. Hammer Pants

Hammer Pants Active Member

I absolutely had a blast at Disney with my family. You just have to, like yab said, suspend your cynicism. I know it's an evil corporation, but I effin love Mickey. Animal Kingdom was fun, and the late night laser/fireworks thing at night (I think it's called "Fantasmic") was fun ... especially after some beers around the world at Epcot.

I only went because my brother was playing in the AAU World Series, and I didn't think I would have fun ... but I had a blast. Just wear comfortable shoes, FastPass the rides to avoid lines, get a parkhopper pass and have fun. Don't try to do everything, either. Do a few things and really enjoy them.

Catch a ballgame at the kickass minor league stadium, too. I went by there with my brother one day and randomly caught a Yankees/Braves rookie league game.

We were there eight days because his team made the finals, and we had a blast each day. I am still stunned to say it, but I had a great time.

3. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

That is the NO. 1 reason why I've never been to either Disney. I know, it's a shame. But my parents wanted us to be old enough to remember the trip, and then, by the time we were old enough, we were so involved in sports and other things, that we never made it a point to try and go. I look forward to the day I can take my future kid(s) there.

4. I don't know how mine will ever forget it. She reminds every day about how great it was and that she can't wait to go back. She has a couple of albums full of pictures of her and a couple of dozen characters (and their 'autographs') that she'll pull out occassionally.

Which reminds me - beware if you're taking a girl because you'll end up in 2-hour lines for 2 minutes of photo ops with the princesses.

5. John Medeiros

John Medeiros Member

Took our kids a year ago, but because my wife and I were working for a newspaper, we went on a budget plan. We stayed at Pop Century but all we wanted was a pool and beds, which it offered. The commissary there was great, though. There were plenty of things for the then 3-yr-old, our oldest, to see (super-sized Mr. & Mrs. Potato Head, Mickey Mouse phone, etc.).
    As for customer service, it was great. My daughter brought a balloon from a birthday bouquet they delivered to the room with her to the commissary. Of course, she let go and up it went to the rafters. The cashier saw this and said they'd get it down at the end of the night and bring it to us in the morning (which stopped the crying). Fifteen minutes later, a guy with more balloons than the first batch was at our door.
    My wife got a special deal she found on mousesavers.com. We got a meal plan (lunch, dinner, snack), which was worth every penny. With reservations made before the trip, my wife and girls enjoyed a character meal at every sitting and we saved a ton over the listed prices. My wife also planned our primary park for each day, but we never had an "Epcot or Death" day or anything like that.
    With good planning and reserving in advance, we paid for two adults and one child -- $1,500 for a week. That includes the $218 for round trip tickets to Orlando.
    In 2005, I took the family to the APSE convention, then we stayed for a few Disney days. We rented a two-bedroom condo less than a mile from the Animal Kingdom entrance. The condo cost us $316 or $326 for a week from skyauction.com.
    I know these costs might sound a little too budget for some tastes, but we could afford all of the souvenirs and assorted junk we wanted. The condo, which had a pool and other amenities, allowed us normal morning routines because we had a kitchen.
    We just booked early and planned things in advance to save some coin. Once we got there, Dis pulled in plenty of our bucks. The oldest will be 5 this year and can't wait to go again. Got ears?

6. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

A possible mother lode (pun somewhat intended) of disney info can be found through this lady:

http://www.ajc.com/living/content/living/stories/2008/01/28/disneymom_0129.html

7. Runaway Jim

Runaway Jim Member

We're leaving for DW tomorrow. Mrs. RJ, me and two kids (ages 2 and 5). This is their second trip (my in-laws go there at least twice a year and are part of some club that gets kick-ass rates). It took me a while to warm up to the idea of going, but after I put all the cynicism aside I had a great time. It's a lot of fun seeing it through the kids' eyes, and even though Disney is an evil corporation, they know how to run a resort.

We're staying at the Port Orleans. I'll second the suggestion for staying on the property. I'd hate to try to fight that traffic all the time, and you can take advantage of the early park openings and other benefits that property guests enjoy.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Have stayed at All Star Sports, and no complaints. My oldest is a big sports fan, and he really got a kick out tossing a football on the football field between the hotels. As someone mentioned, you will tend to fine the youth sports teams staying around there.
    Was there recently and noted they were doing some construction around the Contemporary (looked like adding a new building), so consider that when booking.

Park tickets are expensive, so it's worth it to see if you can't find a deal. They have set up a booth to do home equity loans at the entrance of most parks now ;D

Went to Universal in November (21's Thanksgiving thread generally guides us to FLA rather than trekking north to "enjoy" with family), and the way they were doing the Fast Pass (set time to get on rides, less waiting) was it was an added charge to the ticket, as opposed to Disney where it is free). At any cost, do the Fast Pass--you'll save countless time waiting in line.

Your 5 year old will love, love, love Magic Kingdom. There are few things better than seeing a young child's eyes absolutely light up during a day at Disney.

You, on the other hand, may like Epcot, although in all honesty, I don't know if there's much there that fits the bill for your youngster. I also recommend drinking around the world. We generally start with a Molson in Canada and we're off. And after a good several hours, try one of the 360 degree movies in China, for example. Interesting (or possibly nauseating depending on your poiint of view) to do on a good alcohol buzz.

Definitely grab a Guinness or Bass at the English pub, step around back to the English Garden and check out the Beatles tribute band. The adult highlight of the trip for me. And you may find Winnie the Pooh and Tigger walking around to amuse your kid during "I Want To Hold Your Hand" and the like.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Best thing about Disney is the customer service and the fact that they do little things right.

Have a friend who is pretty high up in the PR chain there. We met for dinner at the Animal Kingdom resort (really cool place to stay or at least go to the African restaurant for dinner. While there you can see the animals hanging around the back).

Anyway, we were talking in one of the rooms off the hotel lobby and a kid comes in and seems to be a little lost. My friend sprang up to help him. Not his job or anything -- but they are well-trained.

They also do the little thing right, so the best way is to go and relax and enjoy. MGM is fine with small kids if you just do the small kid things and don't try to do the whole park.

If you're really lucky and get some time, the golf courses are nice to play.

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Ok Ace tell us the truth - did your friend get you one of those special VIP passes that allows you to by pass the lines

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

No. He was gonna hook us up but found that we planned a day at Universal.

12. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

the best time to go is the first two weeks in december ... it's still warm . . . christmas stuff is up, but holiday crush has not begun. ... lines are tolerable.
    ... not very crowded at all

Draft saved Draft deleted