1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disney says, "Make mine Marvel!"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TheSportsPredictor, Aug 31, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I don't think there is any way to market a Punisher movie to kids. Wolverine was marketed to a younger audience. Hell, they were giving away Wolverine toys in kids meals at one of the fast food chains (I forget which one) and they had commercials for it during my kid's cartoons. Deadpool was in that movie, so they'll probably try to snag the same audience.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Deadpool is done. Ryan Reynolds was cast in the Green Lantern movie and he can't do both.
    The only they can pull off a Deadpool movie is recast the character and from what I read earlier this summer, they aren't going to do that.

Deadpool was only built around the fan reaction to Reynolds, not the character itself. It doesn't really fit into the expanded Marvel universe of planned films.

3. outofplace

I don't think Deadpool was ever supposed to be part of the expanded Marvel universe of planned films, meaning Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk and Avengers. It would have been part of the X-Men universe, which is separate.

But it is definitely likely that Reynolds being cast as Green Lantered either killed or seriously delayed Deadpool, which is a shame. He was a better fit as Wade Wilson than as Hal Jordan.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

OK, wait a minute.

Turns out that right after the deal went down, Jack Kirby's heirs sent 45 notices of copyright termination to Disney, Marvel and the movie studios.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/20/in-wake-of-disney-marvel-deal-cartoonists-heirs-seek-to-reclaim-rights/?hp

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

The idea of Disney fucking up The Avengers, which is set to come out soon, or Captain America, makes me want to puke.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Not sure how many of these Jack Kirby creations Marvel will miss:

http://www.marvunapp.com/list/appkirby.htm

Charles Xavier's Treadmill Wheelchair?

Dimension Z? (Home of Living Eraser)

Cyclops? (The bad guy, not the good guy)

Dr. Strange? (The bad guy, not the good guy)

The Nick Fury robots?

The Invisible Girl of Earth-1228?

Marvel should let them have all these guys and spend the next four years killing them off. C'mon, who in the Marvel Universe wouldn't pause for a "Death of Hellcat" special??

7. outofplace

Avengers is still a way off, which unfortunately means more time for Disney to get involved.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

2011 for the Avengers

9. outofplace

IMDB has it in 2012. I think it was originally scheduled for 2011, but all of these movies were pushed back a bit. Avengers will not come out until after Thor and The First Avenger: Captain America. Thor is just about done casting. They haven't even settled on who will play Captain America yet (Well, at least not publicly).

10. Drip

Drip Active Member

Last I heard, they were going to cast an African American as Captain America. That's cool but I'm a comic book purist.

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Sam Jackson is too old to be Captain America, he's Nick Fury (too old for that too) And please not the Fresh Prince. If they want to make Captain America an African American, can they at least find a third black actor, obviously Morgan Freeman can't play this part, too. He is god, after all.

Paging Dennis Haysbert, call your agent, immediately

12. outofplace

Well, Nick Fury has always been white in the main Marvel U, though in the Ultimate line he is black (and looked like Samuel Jackson before the latter's appearance in Iron Man).

Regarding a black Captain American, I give you, Isaiah Bradley.

[​IMG]

From the miniseries Truth: Red, White and Black, with something called the Weapon Plus program trying to recreate the super soldier serum that made Steve Rogers into Captain America. They used African Americans as test subjects. Bradley was the success story, though the drugs they pumped into him eventually damaged his body and his mind.

I think the rumor you are talking about started when Stan Lee suggested Will Smith to play the role of Steve Rogers. Terrible idea. They would either have to completely remake his origin story or make it ridiculously unrealistic. Captain America was created to be a symbol as well as a soldier. Now, race wouldn't matter when choosing somebody to play that role. But in the '40s? Not a chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted