1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Dislike Female Commentators'

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, Feb 21, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Hannah Storm is very, very good at her job, and she is a strikingly beautiful woman.

Having said that...

[​IMG]

...Kornheiser wasn't too far off-base about the outfit.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I think we should have that conversation another day. Or just never.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

SF--it wasn't buried under hundreds of thousands of pages, it was an available option on an active complaint menu.

To me, Hannah is a great example of the rule, 'just because you can wear anything doesn't mean you should.'

Espn doesn't act on things like this. They react to preserve image.

But I guess what really got me hot about this is that it forces yet another discussion about the role of women in sports media, isnt it so great that espn gives women opportunities, like it's a flippin gift, and at this point in our little history, it just shouldn't be an issue.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

So, 21, what should ESPN have done? Made it harder for people who hate female announcers to figure out where to direct that complaint?

It sucks that ESPN gets the complaints, but I don't see how ESPN is at fault here. I don't think this could reasonably be interpreted as encouraging the complaints, and I think the network has a relatively good track record of putting women in on-air positions that were once held almost exclusively by men.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So you start a discussion about it? Not sure that's forced.

That said, no need to be defending it SF, it's a stupid error, and I'd take them at their word that it was accidental rather than defend it on its face. There are plenty of ways they could have phrased it to make it conform with society's (just) demands for polite conversation.

6. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

I read that in this voice:

[​IMG]

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I started a thread about a topic that's being discussed elsewhere. I might also start a thread about American Idol, I don't think I've seen that yet either. Open to any other thread ideas.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I don't get it. I'm guessing that you mean that the discussion is happening elsewhere, you're just continuing it here. OK.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Gotta tell ya, 21, I've just come off a recent string of college-age lectures, and the amount of women in these sports broadcasting classes is exploding. In some of them, the number of women is larger than the number of men.

Was talking about that with some of them -- just how amazing this is. Sometimes, ESPN trips over its own feet, but you might be more sensitive to it because I guess you are one of those who actually fought the battle. I certainly understand, then, why you would get angry, but the reality of the situation is that young women now don't see the big deal -- because they turn on the television and see so many of their sisters (so to speak) already there.

(It's also possible that someone as ESPN created that form to give people the idea their opinion matters, when, in reality, it isn't worth shit. I've seen companies do that before.)

Now, you're always going to get the ogres. Last weekend, a guy tweeted that I was an example of how Jews can be successful with no talent -- and it wasn't a compliment. But it doesn't mean we're going backwards. Women in sports (TV especially) are here to stay.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Elliotte, I agree with everything you wrote. Wasn't suggesting in any way that women are going backwards, or lacking opportunity.

But even if this was a computer generated list, not compiled by a robot (as Scraggs explains), how long would ANY business allow a specific category of complaints directed only at women? What about African-American commentators, is there a category for that? Jewish? Hispanic? It's completely laughable if you replace women with any other minority.

I was just stunned by espn's explanation that it was a 'relic' from 10 years ago. Ten years ago SJ was locking baked chicken threads targeting women in sports media. Maybe espn needed Moddy to clean house there as well.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Threads get locked here if you talk about how Hannah Storm dresses.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Mizzou, when you get done with the Internet -- because you just won it -- please let us have it back.

Draft saved Draft deleted