1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discovery Channel is my new favorite channel

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jun 21, 2007.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

OK, maybe this is pretty nerdy, but between Cash Cab, Man vs. Wild, Dirty Jobs and Mythbusters, I'd only need the occasional ball game on TV to fill my viewing time. I'm a little tired of Deadliest Catch, and How It's Made could use some spicing up, but other than that I'll watch DC before just about anything else on TV.

Just thought I'd share. In case, you know, you care or something. Which you probably don't. But I'm throwing it out there anyway.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

It's been my favorite channel for a while now. All the shows you mentioned are very well done, plus I Shouldn't Be Alive.

I love How It's Made. For me it's like the old Bob Ross painting show on PBS -- perfect for when you're hung over.

3. novelist_wannabe

The guy on Man vs. Wild is my hero. I thought there was nothing he wouldn't do until he took a pass on messing with a diamondback rattlesnake. Eh, nobody's perfect. Love the dry British wit, though, and at least once every show I'm thinking, "You know, that could be really handy knowledge to have someday."

4. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

And isn't the guy's name "Bear"? Think I saw him on saw late nite shows recently. Gotta like a dude named "Bear."

5. Hustle

Hustle Guest

Isn't Man vs. Wild just a rip-off of Survivorman? I seem to remember watching that long before I ever heard of Man v. Wild.

6. novelist_wannabe

Don't. Care.

7. John

John Well-Known Member

I know Bear did a couple of episodes of Survivorman, but I don't know if they were done before or after the American guy. I think Man vs. Wild is a much better show, in part because Bear doesn't have to spend a third of the show lugging around camera equipment.

8. Platyrhynchos

Platyrhynchos Active Member

Truth be known, the average person's reflexes are fast enough to avoid a rattlesnake strike. Fast enough, even, to catch the snake in mid-strike.

Few have the cajones to try that, though.

9. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Discovery is one of two or three channels that shows good-quality programming. And for the record, other than the Office, Deadliest Catch is the only show I'll make a point of watching.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Les Stroud aka Survivorman was born and raised in Mimico---popped into the Goose last summer for a quick beer. Gave the regulars something to talk about for weeks.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Yes, and this channel has also brought us Planet Earth.

And you thought the Super Bowl was the reason you bought a high def TV?

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I absolutely love Man v. Wild, but I prefer the British version of PE to the American.

Draft saved Draft deleted