1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Discovering What's Worse than Not Having a Hole in One

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 19, 2013.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Been playing for a long time, have witnessed 2 holes in one (one by my then 7 yr old!), and have really made this my one last desired athletic achievement. Come oh so close several times (even jumped on my father in law's back thinking one rolled in but it went on the lip and spun out and hid behind the pin)

Well yesterday, on a beautiful day walking a MacKenzie course with my buddy, I thinned a shot into the bunker on downhill 150 yd par 3.

Buddy says here hit another; I usually never take 2nd swings, but alas this time, for some reason, okay.... hit it perfect, on line....yep, into the cup on the fly!!

Initial reaction is simply "what????";

On one hand, first time ever after teeing it up, but its NOT a hole-in-one.

Well figured out something worse than not having a hole in one, jarring one for a 3.

Scary part is thinking that was my one chance.

2. joe king

joe king Active Member

Nah. Now that you've got it figured out, it's easy, right?

Plenty more where that came from.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Well, maybe not a hole in one story, but it will be the best saving par story you'll ever tell.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

We play a lot of gambling games in my group, even though some of the guys are pretty high-handicap players. One of the games we play is "Wolf" (for fivesomes). When it's a given player's turn to be the wolf, he tees off first, and then as the other players play he must choose which one will be his partner (against the remaining three, best net score against best net score). You can't wait for everyone to tee off -- you have to choose a particular player BEFORE the next player tees off. If, after everyone has teed off, you decide to go it alone, the bet is doubled (typically you can win or lose $16). If you decide to go it alone before anyone else has teed off, the bet is tripled (you can win or lose $24). And if you go it alone before your tee shot comes to a final resting position, that's called an "Air Wolf" and the bet is quadrupled (you can win or lose $36).

In one of those games a few weeks ago one guy was way behind but managed an ace on the par-3 17th. It was too late for an "Air Wolf," but he of course didn't wait on anyone else to tee off before saying he was going it alone. Visions of going from $10 or $20 down to leaping well into positive territory danced through his head ... until one of his high-handicap opponents, who had a handicap stroke on the hole, holed out out of a bunker for a natural birdie and a net 1. Our hole-in-one-er had visions of a $40 win, but instead he walked away having made only a $9 dent in his deficit.

6. Corky Ramirez up on 94th St.

Corky Ramirez up on 94th St. Well-Known Member

I can relate, qtlaw.

I worked at a golf course all throughout high school and college and after work, would invariably try to get in as many holes as possible before it was impossible to see the ball on the tee. Co-worker and I were playing after work one Sunday and got through nine. He declined to play the 10th, which was a short uphill par-3 (couldn't see the green) but bordered the parking lot. I said fine, and he walked to his car. I teed it up anyway and hit it. Sure looked on line. Went up and sure enough, in the hole.

I chased after his car with a club.

Now it's a "Yeah, I have a hole-in-one, but I was playing alone." It's an ace, but it'll always have that good-natured doubt from others.

7. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I once played with my in-laws on a nine-hole course, where each green had two holes. Finish your putt, put the flag in the other hole.

My father in law quipped, "What happens if your tee shot goes into the wrong hole?" Be damned if my brother in law then didn't pull it off.

We told him just to give himself a 2 for that hole.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I told my buddy walking off the green that at least I had a witness because yeah, your situation would be the only thing worse.

9. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I got my 31 years ago -- July 12, 1982. A 135-yard 8-iron. I thought I hit it fat, but it hit just in front of the green, rolled on and in. Nothing but dumb luck. I'd be a lot more proud if I liked it off the club. I like shots that give you that feel immediately at impact. The hole-in-one was not one of those.

Six years later almost to the day, (July 11), I hit a 5-iron on the screws on a 165-yard hole that rolled just past the hole and finished a foot behind it. I'm much more proud of that shot in my mind.

Be proud of the shot, qt. It was a hole in one, just not on the scorecard. In the end, all a hole-in-one is is a story to tell years later. And you most definitely have that.

10. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

My first ace: playing by myself one day before work. jarred an 8-iron. No witnesses but a good column.
    My second ace: Blind uphill par 3 with a 4-iron to a back pin. Never saw it go in.
    My third ace: Jarred a 6-iron in on the fly. I thought it flew the green. Playing partners said it was in. i didn't believe then we got to the hole.

11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Nice par.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Par 2: Over the metal bridge, under the windmill, off the corner block and in.

Draft saved Draft deleted