1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Disadvantage for Canadians

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mattklar, Feb 24, 2007.

1. Double J

Double J Active Member

Unless you were born to American parents, in which case you are instead entitled to a passport and a Social Security Number. ;D

2. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Can you choose which passport? Yank or Canuck? Does that depend on your place of residence?

3. Double J

Double J Active Member

If you're a dual citizen, you can have either one or you can have both, no matter where you actually live.

4. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

I think the biggest disadvantage that Canadians must overcome is their desire to add an extra "U" to a num ber of words for no reason whatsoever.

5. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

Fixed your post. (NESN is not shy about letting its viewers see for themselves, either.)

Back on topic: Isn't Farber, like Jack Todd, an American who went to Canada?

6. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

That's it in a nutshell, and I believe the chances have been more limited since 9/11 as there are more restrictions on getting a green card and more of a focus, at least as I understand it, on hiring from within. Now, you basically not only have to be the best candidate but you have to be so good your employer believes there aren't any American candidates even close.

Further, most of the Canadian j-schools really aren't that far ahead, especially sports-wise. You come out of Carleton, the best experience you might have is a short internship and a weekly campus paper. A lot of the major campuses in the States, j-schools or not, are producing daily campus papers and the quality is remarkable in comparison.

I've seen people make it out of Carleton (though I'd also argue that a number of U.S. schools like Syracuse, Mizzou, Northwestern, etc. are far more prestigious-looking on a resume, clips being equal) and I've seen people make it out of community colleges up here too, but like most have said you have to make a lot of your own breaks to get where you want to be.

7. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

When I interned at the Ottawa Citizen my first summer out of J-School, they actually went out of their way not to hire Carleton students. Not sure why. They sure thought they were hot stuff. But the Citizen also wanted bilingual reporters, and most of the Cartoon U grads didn't make the grade. ;)

8. ballscribe

ballscribe Active Member

Farber is an American, married to a Canadian. New Jersey boy, Rutgers, I believe.

Having gone south of the border for a job, I can concur that they really have to want you. The work visa took several months, and they had to wait for me, not to mention prove (somehow) that my collection of qualifications was something the couldn't find from among their American candidates.

9. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Well, there's two in 50 years. Encouraging, eh?

10. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Yep. Reminds me of a true story:

A baby seal walks into a bar and the bartender says,”What’ll ya have?”
    The seal says, “Anything but a Canadian Club.”

11. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Didn't know John Roberts was a Canuck.

12. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

Depends on your view of success, too. Not everyone wants to work for SI, ESPN and BN Newspapers. Shockingly, there are a vast number of sports folk who enjoy covering preps and don't consider their lives lost if they don't have a career stopover in Bristol. And some of us really do like to cover junior hockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted