1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV and YES Network

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Stitch, Mar 31, 2011.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Every single DirecTV customer should call and complain the minute they lose the YES Network, if it happens. They are paying the same amount and DirecTV is providing less of a service.

2. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

DirecTV is spinning it on how they want to protect the poor consumer from rate hikes. Sorry, but when the CEO is one of the highest-paid exec's as he made $32 million last year, I don't have much sympathy.

DirecTV's message is that it wants to keep the channel up and it is YES' decision to pull it if it goes away. No crap. If you don't want to pay the price that someone else is offering a product for, why should you get to have it for less?

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed, which is why every single subscriber who loses YES because of it should call demanding compensation.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I've been posting on DirecTV's Facebook page calling out the spin.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Why? They and Fox never show yankees games.

6. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Even worse is you could be in the Yankees' blackout zone, have DirecTV, and still not get YES, even if they reach an agreement. DirecTV does not make all of the RSNs that allow you to avoid all local blackouts available to everyone in that blackout area. As long as they offer the most standard RSN for your location, they are not required to offer any more even if your blackout area includes teams beyond the scope of the RSN provided in your package.
    It gets better, because you can add a tier with all of the RSNs. But they black them out whenever a game that is part of the inDemand package comes on. So, add the tier, get YES ... until the Yankees come on. Then you get a black screen with "This program is not available" or whatever.

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Where do you live where you don't get YES? DirecTV subscribers in Scranton get YES. I don't know of any location where a subscriber in the Yankees blackout wouldn't get YES.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I don't care about Yankees games, but Yes carries a lot of Big 12 games for some reason and that's the only way I get to see a lot them on the East Coast.

9. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Out here in the NW, Fox Sports NW is now ROOT - with added contect from the 101 (Dan Patrick). Not like I expected any less homerism from the network.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

DirecTV owns Root Northwest, Rocky Mountain and Pittsburgh, bought when Liberty bought DirecTV from News Corp.

On another note, YES Network reaches deal with DirecTV as posted on DirecTV's Facebook and Twitter accounts.

Draft saved Draft deleted