1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirecTV acknowledges proposed deal for exclusive Extra Innings rights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by ondeadline, Jan 8, 2007.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

This sounds about right. MLB will make money and screw the fans. That way guys like Soriano and Zito can get $100+ million contracts and mediocre utility infielders can get treated like gold.

2. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecT

I did a quick Google search and it looks like you can buy one of these for as little as $38. I wonder what the picture would look like?

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

This will not end well... for MLB. I'm surprised the cable companies don't bitch about this. I know they'd loooooovvve to offer a package like NFL Sunday Ticket.

Different options include XM and MLB.TV, but satellite radio and broadband options aren't for everyone.

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

DirecTV needs to add the Hockey Network.

5. Dedo

Dedo Member

Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecT

On the MLB.tv thing, they still black out the games in your local market, right? And they do that based upon the home address on your credit card? That's the way I understand it.

If that's the case, I wonder if two subscribers in different states could pull a switcheroo. Like, say there's a Cubs fan in Iowa and a Braves fan in Alabama, and MLB.tv does neither one of them any good because those games are blacked out. But what if the Iowan orders a package for himself and gives his password to the Alabaman, and vice versa? Would that work? Unless there's some way for MLB.tv to detect the geographic location of your computer, it seems like it would.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

A friend of mine pulled something like that with DirecTV. He got local channels for our hometown when he was living in a state in a different time zone.

7. Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

MLB.TV does not black you out based on your credit card home address. They black you out based on your IP address. This is actually a simple (and cheap) way for MLB.TV to stop you. However, by adjusting your proxy settings you can outsmart MLB.TV and thus change your IP address to say you are from Poland if you wish. Then, even if you live in Chicago, you can still watch the Cubbies and White Sox to your heart's content.

8. Dedo

Dedo Member

Interesting, goldglovechipper. With no DirecTV, this might be my best option for this season. And if that trick really works and there aren't any blackouts, all the better.

I know it was asked before, but does anyone have any thought on the quality of MLB.TV broadcasts?

9. Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

Another way is if your computer has an S-Video out on the graphics card, you can easily run a S-Video cable (the red and white wire ones) from your computer to the TV. I did this last year with MLB.TV and it worked out well. In my opinion, the quality is better because most people sit right next to their computer screen, which allows you to see the pixels and makes it look worse. With a TV screen most people sit a few feet back which enables you not to see the individual pixels and the picture will overall look better. You will be playing the sound through your computer speakers, unless you also wire your computer's sound card to an output device on your TV (such as a receiver).
    This method is cheap and easy.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I take absolutely no joy in saying this, and wish like hell I were wrong. But the only affect for MLB will be more cash in its coiffers at our expense. They're going to do what they want to do.

11. Re: N.Y. Times: MLB close to announcing exclusive Extra Innings deal with DirecTV

The quality is good (as I mentioned above), but mostly it will depend on the speed of your broadband connection. Don't make the mistake of thinking "well if I type in google.com I get there really fast!" because google is only a few KB. Try going to You Tube and watch a few videos, and if you have no problem (no lagging) then you are good to go. I know last year MLB.TV allowed people to watch the final game of the WS for free as a way to make sure your connection is good enough. They did this right before Spring Training, so look for them to do it again.

12. Dedo

Dedo Member

GGC,

Is there a limit on the number of computers you can use with an MLB.TV subscription? I've got a desktop and a laptop, but I'm guessing I'll have to pick one and stick with it.

Draft saved Draft deleted