1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DirectTV

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Firstime Caller, Mar 27, 2007.

1. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

OK, to threadjack, I just purchased the MLB Extra Innings package, which has long been an unfulfilled fantasy the wife simply would not tolerate. Now for my question, is it all home broadcasts (like XM) or all available broadcasts? In other words, if it's Yankees at Boston, do I get YES or only NESN?

2. da el g

da el g Member

dumped Time Warner and the annual 10% rate increases for DirectTV 3 months ago, should have done it 3 years ago

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Have had DirecTV for nearly seven years. Had it go out twice, both during massive rainstorms in Florida. I woke up today to six inches of snow on the ground and on the dish. Turned on the TV before going outside and the reception was clear and no problems.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

You'll only get one feed of the game, and it's never always home or away.

5. Just wanted to update. Guy came out (late) to fix things on Saturday. Apparently this guy was on retainer to fix installations that other people messed up in the first place. This guy quickly agreed that the wind we experienced a few days ago should not have been messing up the reception. Apparently, when the a$$clowns initially installed our dish, they failed to account for the fact that wind would sometimes blow and shift some trees into the path of the dish. This sort of aggrevated me because I had warned the initial installers about some trees that appeared to be in the way. Ironically though, the fixer guy said it was some other trees that were in the way.

So he moved the dish to a slightly different location on the same side of the house. Of course, he aggrevated me a little because I told him before he moved the dish that he could install it on the other side of the house where there would be no trees at all blocking the dish. So only after he finishes moving the dish does he go to the other side house and then he agrees with me that the view there is clear. So he tells us that when we upgrade to hi-def that's where the different dish should go. So if this dish proves to have any more problems I guess I know where I'll be telling the next people to move the dish to. But at least for now it appears to be working.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Just got DirecTV two months ago when we moved into the new digs, which is smack dab in the middle of a desert wind tunnel. Not a peep, burp or blurb... so far.

Like Da el G, should've done this years ago. I was in a minor quandry when we moved: whether to upgrade to Time Warner digital or go the dish route. After paying my last bill at the old house and getting a pamphlet that was slightly easier than ancient Sanskrit to decipher (is it light pink or dark pink for the total sports package?), went the DirecTV route and haven't stopped patting myself on the back. :D

7. Rich Griffis

Rich Griffis Member

I'm closing on a new house later this month and have been considering the switch to DirectTV, but I can't give up my high-speed internet. From looking at their web site, it appears that the only internet option in this area is DSL service through a company I have never heard of. What do you DirectTV lovers do for high-speed internet service?

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Hey! Don't go dissing my DirecTV! I think the hurricane ripped the house from the dish, not the other way around!

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

That reminds me . . .

Today's tip: If you ever experience a natural disaster that destroys your dish, be sure to call for an appointment DURING THE NATURAL DISASTER.

I called to have a new dish installed while the hurricane was still raging, and it was done in five days.

Had I waited until the next day to call, the backlog was two months.

Next time I'm going to try that with a roofer, too . . . maybe I won't have to wait 6 months to get it fixed.

Roofer: "How much damage is there?"

Me: "I don't know . . . it's still being damaged. Just get out here as soon as you can."

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Question: I'm moving into a house in two weeks with a girl who has DirecTV. I have a Tivo. Is it compatible? Or do I have to just sell mine on ebay and buy a DirecTV DVR?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm pretty sure TiVo is compatible with everything, as long as you still have an Internet connection. You do, however, need to make sure you have a separate receiver, otherwise you'll be stuck watching whatever she wants to watch.

12. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

There's a receiver in the room. And she has wireless, and I already have the wireless contraption for the Tivo.

Draft saved Draft deleted