1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Director of Media Services, Southland Conference

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Moderator1, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Director of Media Services

Description: The Southland Conference, located in suburban north Dallas, and serving 12 member institutions in Texas, Louisiana and Arkansas, is seeking applications for the position of Director of Media Services. Depending on the qualifications of selected applicant, the title may be upgraded to Assistant Commissioner.

The selected applicant shall be responsible for the coordination and management of the Conference’s media services operation including, but not limited to, promotion and publicity of all Southland Conference activities and events. The selected applicant will serve as the primary media contact for all Conference-related issues, and disseminate all statistical information, compile records, produce required publications, and shall coordinate the Conference’s official website: www.southland.org. The selected applicant will create an annual media services plan, oversee media events, and will develop relationships between the Conference and local, regional and national media members. The selected applicant will also supervise media services staff, and work in conjunction with the institutional sports information directors.

Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree required. A minimum of five years of proven experience in sports information/media services at a Division I institution, conference office or professional sports organization is required. Experience in staff management, working in a team environment, and developing positive relationships is necessary. Knowledge of the media industry, current and emerging technologies related to sports information/media services, excellent written and oral communication skills, and proven presentation ability is required. Other responsibilities and tasks as required by the Conference Commissioner.

Other Information: Salary commensurate with experience and qualifications. The Conference offers a comprehensive benefits package. Review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. No phone calls please.

Submit cover letter, resume and names of three references to:
    Director of Media Services Search
    Southland Conference
    2600 Network Blvd., Suite 150
    Frisco, TX 75034
    FAX: (972) 422-9225 -- E-mail: employment@southland.org
    The Southland Conference is an Equal Opportunity employer.

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Good people here. I would think you'd be working with former SID Bruce Ludlow, who is working in another capacity in the conference office. You'll work in Frisco, which is one of the nicer north Dallas suburbs.

I've never been an SID, so I don't qualify, so you'll have one less person who wouldn't mind having this job to compete with...

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Being positive? About the Southland Conference? I guess it's all about a good attitude toward those 15 and 16 seeds to the Big Dance year-in, year-out. :)

4. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

Hey, I've had to cover some of those 15-16 seeds, so I've gotten to know some of those guys. I'm scheduled to go to their football media days later this month. They have it at the Wyndham Greenspoint in Houston. If you know Greenspoint, you know the locals call it "Gunspoint" for a reason. Turns a really nice Wyndham into an affordable conference center for a league that gets 15 and 16 seeds into the dance...

Draft saved Draft deleted