1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Director John Hughes: Today's JD Salinger

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by finishthehat, Mar 27, 2008.

1. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

I was never the world's biggest fan of his films, but I didn't realize he had completely dropped out of sight.

Interesting reading for those who grew up on his movies (sorry if it's a D_B):

http://tinyurl.com/34qlre

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I love reads such as that one.

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Thanks, fth. Interesting read. I hadn't heard any of that either.

And I agree with those in the story who cited "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" as Hughes' best film. I highly recommend another viewing to anyone who hasn't seen it in a while.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

As much as I loved Hughes' films, I would never, ever put him on the same level as Salinger, who is one of the best literary talents of the last century.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

I'm not sure he was trying for a direct correlation. But, your point a good one.

6. "Those aren't pillows!" ... Agreed, "Planes, Trains ..." is priceless. Hughes made movies with a soul to them. That's what makes him infinitely better than the current directors mentioned in that story.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

"Planes, Trains and Automobiles" is a very good movie.

But, "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" is an all time classic.

Hughes also wrote the original National Lampoon magazine article that served as the inspiration for the "National Lampoon's Vacation" movie.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

John Hughes made a few memorable movies, he made more schlock, especially late in his career. Most of his stuff has dated very badly, especially Breakfast Club, which comes off as a ridiculous caricature piece.

Then he made an utter abomination like Career Opportunities, conceivably the worst movie I've ever seen in a theatre.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But he does live on in his films and, more importantly, in higher education -- John Hughes High School as set in not another teen movie.

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Breakfast Club may be one of the most overrated movies in the pantheon of cinema.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but Ferris Bueller is one I can watch multiple times.

And I like Molly Ringwald, dammit!

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Ferris Bueller will still be amazing in 50 years.

Draft saved Draft deleted