1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Director, Communications and PR, FC Dallas and Pizza Hut Park

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Aug 21, 2009.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Director, Communications and Public Relations - FC Dallas and Pizza Hut Park (Frisco, TX)

The Director, Communications and Public Relations manages and executes all public relations activities of FC Dallas and Pizza Hut Park. As the head of the department, this position advises top management on communications strategy, supports the various functional areas (Corporate Partnerships, Player Personnel, Special Events, Foundation/CR etc.) of FC Dallas, acts a spokesperson to the media, coordinates the PR activities of the team and manages the PR activities of all events. The position is based in Frisco, TX

Primary Responsibilities:
    Direct the development and creation of pro-active publicity and promotion of the organization via the following:
    - Pitching creative feature ideas to international, national and local media (sports and non-sports media).
    - Building relationships with media members to educate decision makers about FCD/MLS.
    - Producing and editing team written materials.
    - Overseeing all media special events, media press conferences, and video news releases.
    Develop strategic communications plan and monitor strategic plan to ensure optimal media coverage of all FCD/MLS related initiatives.
    Serve as company spokesperson to the media and respond to media requests for information and to facilitate media interviews.
    Coordinate with SUM/MLS media operations for MLS and SUM events such as preseason, all-star game, MLS Cup and CONCACAF Gold Cup where applicable.
    Oversee the creation of integrated calendar that would include all initiatives and/or events taking place throughout the year.
    Support all FCD events with broad-reaching communications activities.
    Serve as editor of FCD publications.
    Build and foster collaborative relationships with other departments within the organization to stay informed and abreast of new initiatives, program and other organization wide events.
    Build relationships with various areas of importance including media, members of the community, as well as other organizations, etc.
    Assist VP, Sales and Marketing with management of crisis communications.
    Oversee annual FCD PR budget.

Essential skills:
    A degree in public relations, journalism, marketing communications, sports administration or related field.
    3-5 years experience in a leadership role in public relations\communications.
    Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
    Extensive local media contacts preferred and demonstrated ability to place stories.
    Ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of media and community contacts (such as newspapers, TV, radio, etc...).
    Computer literacy including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer.
    Public speaking skills including the ability to be interviewed by the media.
    Must be able to travel and be available to work during evenings and weekends when needed.
    Exceptional project management skills with ability to manage people/projects, delegate responsibility and provide follow-through on multiple projects.
    Individual must be detail-oriented and a self-starter.
    Ability to anticipate problems and identify opportunities to build\protect the FCD brand.
    Ability to think strategically, creatively, and in an effective manner while managing multiple issues and projects.

Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:

1. Yes/No: I have previous experience in a leadership role in Public Relations/communications
    2. Yes/No: I have experience speaking in a public format
    3. Yes/No: I can read/speak Spanish
    4. Yes/No: I have sports/entertainment PR experience
    5. Yes/No: I have knowledge of Metroplex area media

http://mls.teamworkonline.com/teamwork/r.cfm?i=25373

Draft saved Draft deleted