1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dips*** publisher asks readers to edit newspaper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Jan 22, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Not only that, but she's asking for volunteers to come into the newsroom from 8-11 every night to do it. For free. Well, not totally. A dinner for two (!) goes to the person who catches the most typos and errors:

http://jimromenesko.com/2014/01/21/st-augustine-record-publisher-launches-catch-the-typos-contest-winner-gets-a-free-dinner/

Love Romenesko's smartass response:

"So charting the future for Morris Communications is taking people off the street and letting them do trained journalists’ jobs?"

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

It is asking way too much out of life for something truly and heinously libelous to escape the clutches of these super-volunteers.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I bet the publisher just made that offer to shut up the critics knowing no one is dumb enough to come and work from 8-11 p.m. proofing pages for free.

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Will he make it dinner for four if they answer the phones, too?

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Then she's also giving her seal of approval to the amount of errors that get to print.

I wish I could say that shocks me.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Sure ... instead of one can of Pringles, they get TWO CANS!

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Make them take some result calls, and let them deal with a dimwit or two. That'll scare them.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's true. At current rates you need to be paying people at least five bucks an hour for that.

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Also, if I'm the copy editors, I invite Ms. Publisher to spend a few hours with them. She'll never come back.

10. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I would do this in a heartbeat.
    And I would do nothing but drink booze at my free dinner.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Soup is not a meal.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Forget soup. The meal is the free crackers they steal out of the condiments bar.

Draft saved Draft deleted