1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives running thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think you have to be in the mood for it. And you can't mind that you will have to shit for 48 hours straight after you eat there.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

It's gotten to the point where I've heard so much about The Varsity that I never, ever want to eat there. Trying to think of other places like that, but I can't do it. Maybe the original Dreamland, but there's no way I'd skip that place if I'm ever down there again, which I won't be.

3. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Well, maybe I lowered your expectations a little bit. :D

4. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If you're in Boston, try Anna's Taqueria (it's a chain with 2-3 locations, one in Cambridge, one in Brookline that I've been to). Food is great, large portions, and it's cheap.

5. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Since I'll be in Boston next week, yes I shall.

Lunch or dinner?

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Lunch is probably better. It's busier, so you get a better feel for the place.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

spnited needs to break out some of his Jersey diner knowledge

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Those folks on the board from Ann Arbor/Michigan will know this place, which was featured on DDD not long ago.

http://www.blimpyburger.com/

9. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Perfectly said.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

I've eaten at two places they've featured near me.

One, Chino Bandido, is fantastic. It's a combination Chinese-Mexican place. I get the teriyaki chicken quesadilla.

The other place, Los Taquitos, is without question the shittiest Mexican food in the area. Fieri said it had the best taco he'd ever eaten. Off the top of my head I could name ten restaurants within three miles of the place that have better tacos. A friend saw it on the show and drove across town to try it. His review, as I recall, was that it "tastes like ass." (It's owned by 3 attractive sisters, which I suspect is 99.9% of the reason it was on the show.)

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Rarely watch the show, but I did see the episode with Oklahoma Joe's, which was previously mentioned. I would love to get there one of these days, if for nothing else than to wash out the awful taste of Arthur Bryant's.

I would be remiss, though, if I did not mention Kuma's Corner, a heavy metal burger joint on Chicago's northwest side. Not only are the burgers fucking fantastic, but they have the best mac 'n' cheese I've ever had. It's a strange mix because many of the clientele are the tattooed hipsters who litter the neighborhood, but regular tattooed people like myself can enjoy it as well.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

It's been said on these boards but Oklahoma Joes is "legit".

Draft saved Draft deleted