1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dilemma

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by spup1122, Jan 20, 2008.

1. godshammgod

godshammgod Member

Good to hear they've improved since I left my last station, which was a CBS affiliate.

I did weekend evenings there, so I had plenty of Charlie D'Agata. He was great, at least. Gwen Belton was always a disaster.

To be fair, I'm at a station that uses ABC Newsone and they're not much better. Last week they sent a package on the Iranian Boats crisis that was tracked with the OJ Simpson car chase. Thank god we actually, you know, screen packages before air.

And, let me jump on the bandwagon that Weekend mornings suck...even in big markets.

And, you obviously made the right move. Usually with election results the previous night pieces aren't dated since there's no new results info since the count stops until later the next morning. Of course, you have to hope a reporter didn't pull out a "tonight."

2. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Yeah, needless to say, Gwen Belton was specifically who I was thinking of.

They've had someone filling in in DC - Tara Mergener - who's quite possibly worse.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

She's horrible.

Our station does a lot of health news, so the health watch packages are used a lot. In fact I really like the health watch packages. They're usually interesting.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

spup,

If weekend mornings are an issue for you, I ask: Have you ever tried creating a weekly feature? I'm not sure if your show is on both Saturday and Sunday, but you could have one on each day.

Just as an example, you could have a weekly consumer advocate thingy one day and, say, a weekly special interview the other. Just an idea.

5. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

That's what we're working on. Since I've been a reporter before, our news director is sending me out to do interviews and work on stories during the week. We're in a state capital so we have a lot of new stuff from the legislative session starting.

We do other weekly features that aren't in any other shows with the anchors, but their entire purpose is to tease our weekday shows, so having other new features are going to be nice.

Draft saved Draft deleted