1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difficulty concentrating - can anyone relate?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by WaylonJennings, Oct 3, 2007.

1. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I always have trouble concentrating when I'm on the computer or reading. I think it might have something to do with my eye sight.

Go to the doc and get some meds.

2. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I have that problem, too, but I also have an aversion to drugs that are used to treat such conditions.
    I guess I'm fucked.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

I am ADHD and ADD, with mild OC.

The one medication I found to work with the fewest side effects is Cymbalta. It's more of an anti-anxiety medication than anything, but it helps take the edge off of life.

I still can't sit still (shaking my knee, foot, etc.), though.

The weird thing is, being an introvert, I have little trouble tuning out the rest of the world.

And no, I'm not Rainman (though my son might be).

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I think concentration during work became a thing of the past when Al Gore invented the Internet and sites like SportsJournalists.com were then created.

5. That could be something that's undermined it.

The weird thing is, I'm fine on deadline in press boxes. Because, I bet, I don't anticipate distractions because other people are hard at work, too. It seems that I have difficulty when I feel I'm liable to get interrupted every few minutes, or seconds even.

Maybe it is ADD. I hate the idea of getting medication, though. Side effects and all of that. I like to have sex after all.

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

Welcome to my world lately...however, the only difference is that I need music to function in the office. I make sure I play music no one likes so people don't interrupt me. It always works.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Understandable....but if you can find something that helps alleviate your problem, you'll stop minding the meds so much.

One other thought. Have you been getting enough sleep? This business can lead to some pretty erratic sleeping patterns. If your brain doesn't get enough rest, it won't function as it should.

I should know. Ask anybody. I have mild insomnia and my brain does NOT function like one should. :)

8. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I think I've got the opposite problem. I get such "tunnel vision" when I'm working on something that I become oblivious to the people around me. I've become infamous for piping up with something which has been mentioned by someone else 30 seconds previously.

Yes. I am the "deep background" of my office.

10. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

At least you're not Deep Throat.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't know if being bothered by distractions is necessarily an indication of ADD. Have to be a lot more to go with that.

Obviously, being able to read, write, study with a minimum of distractions is ideal. However, we aren't in a business that allows that very often.

Maybe putting on some headphones/ear buds and listing to soft music would help.

Personally, I am either happy to be distracted from something or am locked in and wouldn't hear a train coming.

12. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

What's worse, not being able to concentrate when a hot looking man graces your presence whether at an office or some gig you have to cover. I don't think there is a cure for that..... ::)

Draft saved Draft deleted