1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Different' spin on Lent

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MisterCreosote, Mar 10, 2011.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Here's the front page of the Philly Inquirer today:

http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=PA_PI&ref_pge=gal&b_pge=10

To sum up, media outlets started releasing the names of 21 priests in the Archdiocese of Philadelphia who are suspended or on administrative leave for allegations of sexual abuse. Bad timing, but it's a huge story.

The issue I have is the front-page presentation. The story is ALL about the priests' situations and parishioners' reactions. Yet the main art is Cardinal Rigali giving communion, and the headline is "As Lent begins, faithful learn 21 priests' names." Is it me, or should the whole "Lent begins today" idea been left out of the presentation entirely? Something about it just seems off. Or am I being too sensitive?

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The archdiocese announced suspensions Tuesday. The Inquirer and others discovered the names through their own methods Wednesday. The story ran Thursday. If the archdiocese didn't want its day interrupted, there were 364 days in the year -- and roughly 18,000 days in the past 50 years -- when they could have revealed what was happening and who was doing it.

Fuck. Them.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My 2 cents worth ... tying this to Lent is entirely appropriate. It's a season for reflection, confession and purification so the timing is perfect.

4. NickMordo

NickMordo Active Member

They should release a new name every day of Lent. Now, THAT'D be a different spin on things!

Draft saved Draft deleted