1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Difference between being a fan of team v. fan of individual

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Mar 10, 2016.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Its probably a different perspective as I get (much) older but as I listen to more individual players (that I used to root against) give interviews on podcasts, I begin to see how really good people they are and how I wish when I was younger I rooted for them. Prime example is Manu Ginobili, listening to his stories about maturing under Popovich and his career arc is fascinating, yet I disliked him because he played for the Spurs. I feel like such an idiot for rooting for the laundry and not the players. Anyone else finding this as they age?

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

As I age, I realize you can't determine who is a good person because of an interview.

3. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

No. Fuck Bucky Dent, now and forever.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I rooted hard for RGIII, even though I can't stand the Redskins. His rookie year was as much fun as I've had watching football since I've lived in DC.

I also don't buy the whole, "I'm rooting for the team, not [insert star player here]" thing. I heard that all the time from Eagles fans. Sorry, but if you were rooting for the Eagles when Michael Vick was their starting QB, you were rooting for Michael Vick, too. He was too integral to the team's success.

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Been a Giants lifer and, as much as I loved watching Barry Bonds in the early years, was thrilled to death when they cut him, because games had ceased being about the pennant race and all about Bonds and is he or isn't he juicing.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I generally try to root for guys who went to my college in the pros, so I want to root for Aqib Talib and Chris Harris (especially Harris because he seems like a good dude) but I can't bring myself to pull for the Donkeys. But I also found myself less invested in the Chiefs if Chase Daniel was in the game.

7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I have certain players I enjoy seeing succeed, but I wouldn't say I'm a fan of any professional athlete. Too much uncertainty. Best to keep your emotional distance, lest you end up getting attached to someone who turns out to be a Puckett-like fraud.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The people in my motherland are having a hoot as they review how greatly they respected Bo Ryan for doing things the right way.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Have noticed the sport is more interesting to follow since I long lost interest in my boyhood team.
    Rooting against players, teams and even fan bases is much more fun.

CD Boogie likes this.
  10. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I root for Germany in international soccer, even though almost half of the 2014 World Cup champion team played club for FC Bayern, which I detest.

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I spent most of my childhood doing that. Wasn't much fun rooting against the Cowboys, Steelers, Martina Navratilova, John McEnroe, Pete Rose and Alabama football. Because they won almost all the time.

12. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Rooting against the Steelers is still a huge thrill.

Draft saved Draft deleted