1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diet help

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Chef, Jan 8, 2008.

1. patchs

patchs Active Member

The first year was just diet, no exercise. I was in the low to mid 180s.
    Then I got the eliptical, the first 5 months I used it, I got down to 167 (continuing to diet of course).
    Then during the summer, I started to (to quote Larry David) get a tickle in my anus.
    I had to stop and eventually had to get a colonscopy (Hi Jones) where they also banded some hemorrhoids.
    Then I just got lazy the last 3 months of the year.
    So, as of now, I'm in the upper 170s but I know if I keep dieting and continue to do my 25 minutes a day/5 days a week, I can get back to the upper 160s.

2. NDub

NDub Guest

I'm with the cardio talk. It, along with a well-balanced and healthy diet, works.

Since the beginning of last summer, I started jogging. I started with 1/4 mile for about two weeks, then 1/2 mile for a few weeks, then 3/4, then a full mile.

I worked my way up to a job session per day and am now hard jogging 1.5 miles/day about 5-6 days a week.

I'm 24, so I can probably get away with a more rigorous workout than some, but the point is that cardio exercise does work and you can gradually build your way to a good workout. I went from 200 to 185. I feel much better and look better. And I've noticed that jogging/running does build some muscle, too, especially in the legs, upper abdomen, back, and shoulders (it's all in the body movement).

The advice I can give on eating habits... STAY AWAY FROM FAST FOOD. Don't eat it. Cut it out. No burgers, fries, tacos. If you choose anything fast, go to Subway. But lay off the cheese and most of the dressings.

Also, buy fat free or low fat food at the grocery store. You'd be surprised the difference in calories and fat grams between fat free Ranch dressing and regular Ranch. Buy Lean Pockets instead of Hot Pockets. Snack on fat free pudding or yogurt, not ice cream or candy bars.

I also invested in a George Foreman Grill. You should see the grease and fat that thing pulls out of chicken and burgers. Crazy.

Beer is a wondeful beverage. But it only hurts your diet. That's partially my problem with getting down to 180, because I still like to party with my friends and pound the cerveza. There's nothing wrong with going out for a beer or two or having one after a long day, but don't make it a habit.

If you like soda, drink diet. There's 100-150 calories in can of regular soda. There's none in diet pop.

I'm also a GNC guy. I take a multivitamin and a Vitamin C tablet twice daily with food. Those things load your body with vitamins and minerals you usually don't get in daily food intake, plus the MegaMan multivitamin provides your body with nutrients that your body loses during workouts and also protects you from harmful substances your body produces during workouts.

And, yes, water is great. No calories or sweets. It cleanses your system. And if you drink a lot, it fills your belly. I rock about 80-100 oz. a day.

Lastly, just stay active, positive and consistent. I was 244 as a senior in high school. It's taken me a long time to get to where I am. Granted, I never tried to diet until the past year, but you can lose weight if you're dedicated.

Good luck.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

If I didn't already believe dieting was extremely personalized, I do after this week.
    On Sunday, I was at 237.4 (I'm 6-1). It was kind of disappointing but seeing how I haven't exercised more than once since fucking up my knee (again) in September, I wasn't shocked.
    This week, I've basically cut down calories, probably keeping it between 1,500 and 2,000. I really like to eat, so a 2,000-cal diet hasn't ever really been part of my routine.
    Couple things I decided to do -- as others here have suggested -- eat smaller meals (including breakfast, something I haven't done in years), leaving food on the plate when I'm full and "snacking" on things like Special K bars, fruits, vegetables, etc.
    Big thing, though, I've only drank twice this week. While I'm by no means an alcoholic, I'm usually out 3-5 times a week.
    Today, wearing the same thing I was on Sunday and basically at the same time of the day -- I weighed in at 229.5.

Draft saved Draft deleted