1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Die Hard 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Jun 27, 2007.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I enjoyed it more than I expected to, though I agree with everyone on the fighter/truck thing. It was a little too long, and eliminating that would have been perfect.

And Mac commercials aside (which, you have to admit, are a great piece of advertising), Justin Long gets a lifetime pass from me for his character on "Ed."

2. This is second-hand, so take it with a grain of salt, but...
    A woman I work with spent some time in Hollywood and met some big-name actors. She now won't watch anything Willis is in because she said he was, by far, the biggest jerk among the celebrities she met.
    I have always liked him, so I try to chalk it up to her running into him on a bad day, but she was on the set for several days and he was apparently consistently a dick.

3. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Babar, glad somebody else is an "Ed" fan. And the Mac vs. PC commercials are the best-written ads I've seen in ages. The "dropped call" commercials going right now are pretty strong too, but I can't even remember which company they're for ...

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I hate movie critics because they are looking at movies through a different set of eyes than they should.

This movie should be given an A by every critic because it delivers what it is supposed to -- a lot of stunts, a lot of wrecked cars and planes and helicopters, explosions, a lot of exciting car chases and over the top special effects, a lot of people getting their asses kicked and or shot up and blown up and enough witty lines from Bruce Willis to remind us that there are actual humans in this story.....

What else would anyone who goes to this movie really want from it?

It isn't about acting, lighting, plot lines -- it is about two hours of fast action and excitement.

5. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

He oozes man's man.... dick, even in that great interview.

I loved this graph:

Smith concurs. He tells a story he has told before about when Willis, a producer on the film, had Smith rewrite a scene he was in to remove some of the exposition. The studio wanted to discuss their objections to the rewrite. "I was there when he made that call," says Smith. "He was talking to some higher-up muckity-muck at the studio. He kept saying, 'Uh-huh, uh-huh.' And then he said, 'Let me ask you this: Who is your second choice to play John McClane? Thought so.' And then he hung up. It was just as cool as that."

6. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm no Willis fan, and I bemoan the devolution of action thrillers into high-tech cartoons . . .
    but this IS a fun ride. Just check your brains at the door, and enjoy it.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

That movie scared the shit out of me. It was on at 1 a.m. a couple weeks ago, and I couldn't watch it I was so freaked out.

8. MartinEnigmatica

MartinEnigmatica Active Member

Good movie for what it's supposed to be, and I, too, would have preferred the jet scene to hit the cutting room floor. Just very strange, including when he hops on the back. But from the time he enters Farrell's apartment until the last five minutes, it's pretty much full-on actions.
    However, one thing I would have liked to see was conflict between law enforcement and McClane. He was seen as something of a rebel who shouldn't stick his nose into the matter in the first two at least, and here he's basically invited to do so.
    Also, Maggie Q, the smoking Asian chick - did you know she's half Irish/Polish?

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have some friends in who work in the movie industry and they say that Willis was an insufferable prick for about a decade, but right around the time he split with Demi Moore became one of the nicest A-list stars in Hollywood. Who knows if that's just a coincidence...

10. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

I have two relatives who are actors and have worked with Willis. They say he is a tremendous douchebag. Maybe the worst out of any "famous" actor they've worked with. This was pre-Demi split, so take it for what it is worth.

11. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Watched it online a couple of days ago, it was pretty good. That plane scene was quite over-the-top.

12. audreyld

audreyld Guest

I'm fairly certain I'll live to regret this admission, but he was in Galaxy Quest.

Draft saved Draft deleted