1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Die Hard 4

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Riddick, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Agreed. They had me until the plane with the dozen or so missiles decided to fly under an overpass and use a machine gun...and that was the tip of the completely ridiculous iceberg for that scene.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Just wait for the 2010 coda: Die Hard and Drop Dead. :D

3. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I still would have preferred an "R" but they did a great job with what they had...

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Saw it last night, and definitely recommend. If you like the Die Hard series, you'll like this one.

There were a few CGI scenes that made me cringe -- car vs. helicopter was one of them, and the other car double-flipping over them was another -- I hate that shit when it's rendered poorly, and those were. Just looks fantastically unrealistic. I'm not against big ol' fiery explosions and car chases/crashes, but I like a little intelligence in my rock-'em-sock-'em action scenes. Some of these made me cringe.

That said, I can't get enough of the John McClane character. He more than makes up for holes in the computer stunts and holes in the script. Willis is perfect for this part, as expected.

Oh, and there was only one moment where I noticeably missed the fucks: When he said "Shut. ... <pause> ... Up." to the kid in the car, where a nice bowl of STFU would have been more believable and appropriate.

5. "A great summer movie. Lots of stuff blew up!"
    -- My son.

6. Mizzougrad96

And to think Willis was a last-minute replacement 20 years ago when Harrison Ford dropped out just before shooting...

7. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

And that Willis could do it only because Cybill went preggers, shutting down Moonlighting for 11 weeks.

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Bruce, as Joel Stein wrote in the July 2 issue of Time, is just f'ing cool. You (well, at least I) always got that feeling that he'd be a great guy to hang out with. Read Stein's article.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1635812,00.html

9. Mizzougrad96

Moonlighting was one of the greatest shows ever, but I don't know if a show ever went downhill faster...

10. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i kept wondering where the hell i knew that guy. and, like the others in the series you have to suspend common sense belief just a little, but it's still a thumb's up if you're looking for lots of action.

11. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Very fun movie. Yeah the jet v. truck was plain stupid.

What makes the movie though is the dialogue. The way that the generations perceive things differently, Long v. Willis, was nice.

12. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

This review sums it up for me.
    Taken from Rottentomatoes.
    "John McClane has turned into Jack Bauer.None of the scrapes and bruises [Willis] sustains are as wince-inducing as the image of his younger self in the first film, padding across broken glass with bare feet. He was human back in 1988; now he's the Terminator.
    Three movies later, his indestructibility has become something of a joke, and McLane has morphed into a de facto superhero, sure to survive every chopper crash and five-vehicle pile-up."

sigh.

Draft saved Draft deleted