1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did your paper use an asterisk with Bonds? Poll

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rusty Shackleford, Aug 9, 2007.

?

Has your paper used an asterisk in some way with regard to Barry Bonds' home run chase over the past

1. Yes, we've used an asterisk somewhere with regard to Bonds in the past week

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  2. No asterisks here, thank you very much

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  1. Rusty Shackleford

Rusty Shackleford Active Member

In the spirit of the past few days, I thought I'd create my first poll. Just curious how many papers out there used an asterisk in some form in their Bonds coverage over the past few days. Mine did. And I designed it.

If this (or something like it) already exists somewhere on here, feel free to delete it.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No. Not only is it inaccurate, it's unoriginal.

3. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

1A put 756 then put an asterisk at the bottom and asked "Would you use this asterisk after 756? Tell us what you think at ..." and listed the Web site.
    In sports, the asterisk/controversy angle was totally avoided and the page was done in the historical context of the moment.

So I guess that means "sort of"

4. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Same thing was in "discussion" at my shop. ... 1A wanted to use asterisks, Sports didn't.

But, in the end, neither did.

5. toivo99

toivo99 Member

A few weeks ago we ran a story on fans' differing opinions on Bonds. My headline was "* or !"

Don't think that counts in this discussion though.

6. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I was the editor in charge that night and it was a simple decision not to editorialize in a centerpiece headline of a news story. That is no place for it.
    We did not have a columnist writing this. If we did and that was their opinion, then the headline on the column might have addressed the asterisk issue.

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Contrary to popular misguided belief, there was never an asterisk for Maris, either.

::) ::)

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

No asterisk for the actually home run, but one with the follow-up columnist a day later.

Draft saved Draft deleted