1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did you take your first job offer?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Corbin, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ringer

ringer Active Member

One question - why would you want to be an SID?

Seems like they just answer questions and write media guides all day with nothing to show for it. I don't think that kind of position would sharpen your skills; I think it would dull them.

Then again, I've never been an SID. So... just wondering.

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Yes, I turned down my first job offer. I turned down my first three, actually. All three were with small dailies in horrible corners of the southeast that would have required me driving 2-3 hours to reach any city of worth. The each offered between 20 and 21K. I had nothing else, was living with the parents and doing some freelance work in the meantime. At the time, I was confident I could land something better. I still look back at that attitude and shake my head.

Luckily, a couple of months later, I landed a job at a small weekly right near my old college town for about 24.5K. Paper was smaller than the other three, but the pay and location was better. I was there for a year before moving on to a mid-sized daily.

I wouldn't worry too much about this decision affecting the rest of your career. It is too early for that. If the job sucks and you just can't do it, you'll recover and move on to something else. You still have a lot of avenues in front of you. Those don't start closing until you a little farther down the path.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Media guides --- at least the old-style printed version --- got phased out about five years ago. Now it's all websites and blogging, etc.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Some SIDs make bank.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You know, Mark. Sometimes it seems like you kinda half know what you're talking about.

6. Corbin

Corbin Guest

More good advice, thanks. This is making me feel less worried about it. I was one of two finalists for another job a few months ago. It was also in a small town, but on the total opposite end of the spectrum. It was online-only and the editor was all about new media, and answered all my questions before I could speak. I ended up not getting it, but that seemed like a good job too. And the editor at the interview straight up told me he doesn't expect me to stay for long, like you said Mark.

The paper does look good. Much better than I expected, to be honest. It looks the same as my hometown paper, which is in a town twice as large. The website needs some work though, and the editor has never used twitter. I talked a lot about using that to reach people, especially when he mentioned management is pushing him to use it. So I think that had a hand in helping me get the offer.

To go back to your point Mark, you're correct about the staff. With the exception of the editor, everyone is my age or a year older.

Yeah, the alternatives aren't appealing. As long as I can afford the bills I'll be there.

Awriter: I agree, that was disconcerting. Especially considering I drove three hours for it after work. But to his credit, he has opened up a lot more since hiring me. Maybe just an off-night.

Ringer: That may be true. I have a few friends working as SIDs and part of that job just appeals to me. A lot of people I've talked to have told me it has better job security.... not sure if that's true or not though.

Tywebb: Ha, yeah this town is literally 2 hours from every city. As someone who has never lived outside of a metro area, that does concern me but it's an adventure. Sounds like what I'm doing right now, staying with my mom and looking for freelance when I can. Tired of that.

Awesome, that's relieving. That's probably my main worry, getting stereotyped if you will, as a newspaper guy only.

7. Corbin

Corbin Guest

Yeah that's another part of it.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Corbin,

Another thought. If you think you'd like SID work, there are a lot of entry-level opportunities in that field. I made the transition from newspapers to SID work at age 25 (after three FT years) and was considered an old guy when I did.

Check out the College Sports Information Directors website at www.cosida.com. Lots of jobs listed there and also information on the national convention this summer, which is a good place to meet people and network, even do formal interviews face to face. Teamwork online has listings of PR openings for various major and minor league professional teams.

The colleges will be cranking up the hiring process in the next couple of months, so it's a good time to be looking around.

Now, please understand that as an intern or graduate assistant, you will make even less than peanuts. But if you want to pursue a career in that area it's a good place to start. If you are really interested, PM me and I can email you a copy of my story on the life of an SID that I wrote two years ago featuring several current and former SIDs in our newspaper area.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

The thing with $21K is that $21K is a different amount of money depending on where you are. Let's not mince words -- $21K sucks pretty much everywhere. But there are places where it sucks less.

I can't answer your middle two questions, but I did take the first job I was offered ... and the second. In fact, having now had five full-time journalism jobs, I've only ever turned down one position, plus another that I probably would have been offered but opted not even to pursue.

I can also say yes to your fourth question. Mine was a very specific situation, but if there's something you want to bounce off someone, feel free to send me a PM.

10. I left a job in restaurant management, making $28K a year plus bonuses, to go home and be part-time sports writer.
    While part time, I worked at 84 Lumber (full time), making close to $30K, with bonuses ...
    I was and have never been happier when the SE called me, while on vacation at the beach to offer me the full time job, making less than $20K a year. I LOVED the job!
    15 years later I make just over $32K a year. Until Dec., I was happy as a clam.
    I knew what the money was going in, but I loved the job.

11. Untitled

Untitled New Member

At least ask if they can up the offer before you take on the job. It can't hurt.

Other than taking on a sports writing job, you shouldn't have any other regrets like missing out on the chance to at least ask for better pay.

Just do yourself a favor and don't stick around too long. It only gets worse.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

As much as the pay sucks, the bigger red flag is the way the editor seems to run things. Always remember, when on a job interview, it's a two-way street. Much like a first date, you're checking them out as much as they're checking you out, and sometimes what looks like a moderately attractive woman is a raging psycho hose beast.
    Ask questions. Observe the way things are run. If the opportunity arises, listen to the newsroom chatter or pull someone aside and ask what they think of the place. Make a list of pros and cons. If something smells fishy, don't be afraid to pass it up. If it seems like a good fit, go for it.
    From the sound of this interview, I'd be wary. Very wary.

One more thing. The crappy hours and pay are universal in the lower rungs of the business. You might never see $40K a year. Hell, there's a good chance you won't sniff $30K for a decade or more. At these types of shops, you might sign up thinking you're working 40 hours a week, end up working 60, and still get yelled at for not covering your eighth softball game of the week, which started at 8 p.m. on a Saturday night.
    If you're willing to sacrifice money and happiness in the short term for experience and (hopefully) greater success in the long term, then it's worth considering. Just be sure you go into it with your eyes open.

Draft saved Draft deleted