1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Willie Mays Snub Josh Hamilton?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

One big difference today is player conditioning that allows them to play longer at a high level.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

i got nothin'. boom. except to ask: so are we saying willie is still sharp and DID diss hamilton? or that he has times where he's kinda unaware of what's happening around him? i've lost track, truth be told.

3. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

I thought that piece pretty much backed up much of what's been said here, that Mays can be a prick and a mercenary, but that you also have to cut him some slack because he's also feeling the effects of old age. The incident with Hamilton would have been a perfect anecdote for that story, because it illustrates how hard it is to tell when Mays is being surly and when he's just out of it. Btw, I though the most interesting stuff was that he missed the ballplayer lifestyle so much that even after he retired, Mays used to go out of town from time to time just to simulate the feeling of a road trip. I never knew that.

Draft saved Draft deleted