1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did this man go too far with kids vandalizing relative's home?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hondo, Jun 18, 2013.

1. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

The original story on it says the guy heard noises coming from the house at 9 p.m. I think it's reasonable to expect parents to know where their 8- and 10-year-old children are and what they are doing at that time of night.

But the time of night issue still takes a backseat to the fact that these kids obviously weren't taught by these stellar examples of parenting that doing tens of thousands of dollars worth of vandalism to a house because you were told to get off the lawn is OK in this society. And now these parents deciding to blame the victim is only going to send the message to them that what they did is OK.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

DA returns his decision on the case: Fuck. That.

http://www.cnycentral.com/news/story.aspx?id=912090#.UcNXufm1EnQ

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Some sanity prevails, somewhere.

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can't think of a DA in America who'd go for it. Sanity would prevail anywhere.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

During the summer when it's light out? C'mon.

6. House M.D.

House M.D. Guest

Fuck the children.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Outing Alert: House M.D. is Jerry Sandusky.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I'm not saying a kid can't be outside at 8 p.m. in the summer. But the parents better damn well know where the kid is ... either in his own backyard or a friend's with supervision. Not in a vacant house with sledgehammers.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Your parenting deserves comment if you think 8-year-olds know enough to make the right decisions every time. Of course an 8-year-old should know it's wrong to take a sledgehammer to a house. They should know not to do a lot of things. Doesn't mean they won't do those things. And if they were home as they should have been, nothing would have happened.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I sure did. Heck, my wife doesn't allow my son to cross the four-lane road in front of our subdivision, and he's 16. I guess he can drive across it now.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I can see giving some 8-year-olds some amount of freedom of movement with their friends, during daylight hours, during the summer, within a certain range. But the kid has to prove themselves to be unusually responsible. 9 p.m. seems a bit late.

If a kid is willing to do this, then they're so far on the other side of that line that the parents really should have known better.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So we can't comment on your child, but it's fine for you to comment on someone else's?

And hyperbole my ass. You made a stupid statement. Either stand by it or don't. If I said those kids deserved to die in a school shooting, I'd be rightly excoriated for it.

Draft saved Draft deleted