1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did steroids really change baseball?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Yes, Luis Gonzalez had that latent power that he happened to use all in one year. His HR totals:

15, 10, 23, 26, 31, <b>57</b>, 28, 26, 17, 24, 15, 15.

2. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

As I said before, guys like that and Brady Anderson prove my point.

If steroids made them hit so many HRs, why didn't they keep hitting them?

3. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Also, I guess Joe Mauer was on steroids last year.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Mauer didn't hit 50 or more home runs. He hit 28 (though it was after missing a month). And he was 26 years old when he did it, young enough for a legitimate power spike. We still haven't seen nearly enough of his career to see how that fits in and there are at least two good reasons that his power production has gone down this year -- a series of minor injuries that have had an impact on his overall level of play and the move to a much tougher hitter's park.

Take all of that away and your comparison might have some merit to it.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because the side effects of steroids can scare the shit out of people.

6. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

The league expanded in 1993.

7. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Mauer is at an age and a point in his career where a jump in power numbers is more easily explained. Gonzalez was 33 when he suddenly hit 57, a level he hadn't come close to before in his career, nor he did he approach it after that season.

8. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

That's a common misconception. In fact, I would have thought the same thing just a few days ago, but this guys' research showed that the overall scoring numbers in the years just before and just after each previous expansion were basically flat. Same with the 98 expansion.

http://highboskage.com/juiced-ball.shtml#EXPANSION

The only other expansion that had a big offensive jump was 1977, which also had a new ball.

Besides, shouldn't there be just as much dilution of hitting as pitching? And if there was some inability of the world population to fill up an extra 50 major league spots in 1993, don't you think the world would have caught up? It never did. The offense rose immediately in 1993 and stayed at that level to the present day.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Steroids don't help you hit home runs. Saying "steroids helped home run numbers" is incorrect statement and one we as journalists should refrain from ever saying again.
    Steroids help you recover quicker when you're working out a ton, which makes you stronger. If you take steroids and don't work out, you're not going to get stronger.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And getting stronger allows you to hit more home runs. Exactly why is that so difficult for some people to understand?

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Help is transitive. If A helps you do B, and B helps you do C, then A helps you do C.

12. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm not disputing that. I'm only disputing the degree. The "how many more home runs" question.

Based on the fact that home run totals went up very quickly -- did everyone start using steroids the same year? -- and the fact that they have been sustained even past steroid testing, I'm skeptical that steroids are the dominant reason for the increase in homers.

I suppose I'm just repeating myself now.

Draft saved Draft deleted