1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Richard Sherman's Antics Disgust You??

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Jan 20, 2014.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

This has blown up on social media.
    Of course if that was Tebow and he thanks God then the same people would say he's a piece of crap for that, as well.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I liked it.

49ers fan (my #2 team actually, but beside the point) ... but as buckweaver noted on the NFL playoffs thread, the alternative is a bunch of stage-managed quarterbacks saying what the Central Office wants them to say. I always like seeing that there's passion, even if it's somewhat misplaced.

I also think the majority of America hears "Compton" and sees the dreadlocks and puts him in that box.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

Oh, I think the coded racism here is quite obvious.
    Just in time for MLK Day.

4. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Meh, he wasn't exactly classy, but the overreaction has been ridiculous.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

It was fine. He was still amped up in the moment.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Popovich quarter-break interviews > Sherman postgame interviews.

7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

Wading through all the Twitter about him is a little crazy, but some tweets I did see were calling out writers who criticized his antics.

The bulk of who I follow are other writers. Nobody in my feed "criticized" him. Maybe a wow, or Did you see that?

I say all that to ask: What writers were bashing him?

8. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I wasn't disgusted. More mildly amused. I was more disgusted by his antics immediately after the interception.

9. 3_Octave_Fart

I don't appreciate being told how to feel about something.
    Especially by a twat like Deion Sanders, who of all people said it was bad for the game.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I also had more of an issue with his behavior right after the interception. I think disgusted is far too strong of a word for it, but he was certainly selfish and childish.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Being blown way out of proportion. What Sherman did pales in comparison to the past antics of, for example, a young Cassius Clay/Muhammed Ali, and we now adore that guy as a national treasure and think that stuff was just his brilliant showmanship.

I thought it was fairly amusing and essentially harmless. Today's social media world is just desperate on a daily basis for something new to act critical of and/or outraged about. They can thank Sherman for providing the newest slab of meat. Can't wait for the contrived First Take/Around the Horn scream fests about it tomorrow.

12. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Completely classless and obnoxious, especially because there was absolutely no reason to stoop that low.
    Before they "interviewed" him, I was amazed at the sheer athleticism of that play and couldn't help but think that might one of the best pass defense plays I've ever seen, especially considering the moment.
    Now? Now I want the Seahawks to crash and burn badly in two weeks.
    His idiotic comments took attention away from what should have been a monumental win by Seattle and it's outstanding defense and, instead, makes the talk all about him. In a team sport, you don't act that way.
    Now for the next two weeks, this whole thing is going to be a distraction. I know. I know. Everything during Super Bowl week is a distraction but this was an unneeded one.
    You just proved you're one of the best players on the best defenses in the league. Let your play do the talking and shut up.
    Further, act like you've been there before. It's called winning with grace.
    All this asshat did was show he is completely and utterly devoid of class. How anyone could root for this douchenozzle is beyond me.
    If I'm a Seahawks fan, I'm ashamed of him. Then again, in my experience this is typical of the "fans" of that team so I guess I shouldn't have expected anything less.
    Go Peyton!
    (And this is coming from a Patriots fan who should despise the Broncos for kicking New England's ass up and down the field today)

Draft saved Draft deleted