1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Oregon delay basketball players' rape investigation to help grad rate?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Giggity, Sep 8, 2014.

1. Giggity

Giggity Member

This story from a Portland TV station basically finds that the Ducks kept themselves from a crappy graduation rate and certain sanctions by dragging their heels on an internal investigation of the three players who were accused of raping another student last spring. The thought at the time was that they were running out the clock until the NCAA tournament was finished.

http://www.katu.com/news/investigators/Protecting-the-program-Lives-have-been-destroyed-due-to-the-negligence-of-University-of-Oregon-administrators-APR-274358541.html

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Re: Did Oregon string out basketball players' rape investigation to help grad rate?

If the question is "Did Oregon ..." and the subject is anything unsavory that will benefit the athletic program, the answer is yes.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Misdeeds at Nike University!?

Say it isn't so!

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm shocked. Shocked.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

TV station calls BS on university's attempt at spin.

http://www.katu.com/news/investigators/U-of-O-wages-public-relations-campaign-with-alumni-after-KATU-report-on-sex-assault-investigation-274678531.html

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Am I missing something here? The story posits that the players were kept in school so the APR score could stay high enough to keep the team out of NCAA trouble. But does the story actually tell us what the score would have been if the players had been tossed immediately?

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or did about a quarter of that story talk about the advantages and disadvantages to how the school reacted and when they did it? It explained the complex and often confusing nuts and bolts of APR rather well, I thought.

"“It would be helpful for their APR for them to remain in school and finish their coursework and then be dismissed or suspended at the end of the term,” Infante said.

And that’s exactly what happened.

The alleged sexual assault took place on March 8.

Not quite two months later, on May 5, head coach Dana Altman announced the three players were no longer with the team.

And six weeks after that, they were suspended from the school on June 23 – after classes were over, and after they’d earned all their APR points."

Draft saved Draft deleted