1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did it work or didn't it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 20, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I honestly wasn't "butthurt."

I find our "feud" humorous at this point.

And, Mizzou, you're a good poster and seemingly a really good guy. But you don't have a ton of room to talk about being "butthurt" about the political threads with a couple of your reactions recently, particularly your All-Star performance on the bin Laden thread. Again: You're in the 99th percentile of posters. But, you know, glass houses and all ...

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

To the liberals -- or anyone really -- who wants to embrace McCain's position on torture, I think we need to understand his full thoughts on the issue.

Remember, McCain said that he would expect that interrogators would break the law and use enhanced interrogation techniques if necessary in a "ticking time bomb" scenario.

Doesn't that tell you that, at some level, it works?

And, if you want to argue that it's never justified, even if it does work, that's fine too. But, it's not what John McCain is arguing.

3. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

It says that it might work and, in a ticking time bomb scenario, you try everything.

The cynic in me says, though, that if the detainee knows he only has to make it twelve hours before the Sears Tower blows up, that makes it even easier for him to let slip the occasional morsel about what his cell is planning for the Brooklyn Bridge.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

And you might be right. Give them something that will take 24 hours to check out and then wait for the Sears Tower to blow up in 12 hours.

I just think we should be honest about what McCain has said. People here who are embracing McCain's opinion aren't even doing that. It's a half-embrace.

(And, what people forget is that hopefully you have some info when you begin an interrogation. You ask some questions that you already have the answer to. And if they lie when they answer these questions, then you know how truthful they are being.

Hell, my parents knew how to do that.

And, it's just this scenario that led our investigators to focus on bin Laden's currier. They knew he was important. When each detainee swore he was a nobody, they knew he was really important.)

Draft saved Draft deleted