1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did it work or didn't it?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by CarltonBanks, May 20, 2011.

1. vicd

vicd Active Member

Should we torture Bin Laden's captured wives and children? Is it moral to torture a 13-year-old if it saves the life of one American soldier? If we capture a 12-year-old female suicide bomber before she blows up, do we torture her?

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I'm sure this thread, like the 176 Osama bin Laden threads before it, will give us the definitive answer.

3. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

We are getting off base here and it is just going to lead to another locked thread. We used enhanced interrogation. I do not consider that "torture" and millions share my opinion. So all the ethical arguments about "torture" are not valid in my eyes. However, enhanced interrogation is not perfect and could cause the United States to lose face worldwide. I understand that and it is something that should be looked at by the next president when he or she is setting policy. Either way, the "enhanced interrogation = torture" equasion is not valid.

By the way, Bob, if you feel this is a waste of time feel free to step out of the thread. We can make it without you...although it will be diffiult.

4. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

John McCain, who knows a little bit more than all of us on this particular subject, disagrees.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

What worked well was the Bin Laden assassination. We should move to the same step with some of those GITMO terrorists and stop wasting water.

I read that a GITMO prisoner "killed" himself yesterday. Hmmmmm.

6. vicd

vicd Active Member

Should we waterboard a 12-year-old if it saves one American's life?

7. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Is the 12-year-old an enemy combatant? I have a feeling a 12-year-old would not be that difficult to break without waterboarding. However, if he was an enemy combatant and taking up arms against the United States or actively trying to kill civilians I have no problem with it.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

1) Millions of people also shared/share your opinion that Obama's true birthplace was in doubt.

2) "Enhanced interrogation" is just a cute way of making torture sound more palatable.

3) #2 is my opinion. Your opinion is clearly the opposite of mine. However, that does not make my opinion -- which is really the widely held majority opinion in this country -- "not valid" as your conclusion states.

9. Boom_70

threaten to take away their X Box and Phone and you'll get answers.

10. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Proof, please, that it is the widely held majority opinion in this country.

11. Boom_70

LTL - How do you feel about assassination?

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And the paste industry grows just a little bit stronger. Torture, pure and simple. And Mizzou, I really don't think you want to give the government the fiat of "whatever works." That's a slippery slope with a gross gallons of Astroglide added.

Draft saved Draft deleted