1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I miss the memo about ESPN morphing into the YES Network

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Oct 10, 2006.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

Seriously, Slappy, what did they miss by covering NEWS?

2. Gold

Gold Active Member

birdscribe:

I probably shouldn't let out this secret, but we'll all friends here and nobody would tell anyone anyway.

West of the Delaware River, throughout the United States, a loyal network of Yankee followers is waiting, just waiting for the moment, when we - uh, I mean they - can make the YES Network required viewing in our schools and the dominant television network.

I - oops, I mean they - plan and pray for the day when we have Yankeeography episodes on Mike Stanton and Gene Woodling. Waiting for the day when there are marathon viewing of Yankee-Red Sox games.

I tell you this because you may have stumbled upon the plot and, because I like you, bid that you be cautious and safe.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Or that pesky ALCS starting tonight that doesn't have any New York teams in it.

Oh wait! No one would supposedly give a shit! Why would we want to actually hear about the teams still playing?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nothing. It's overcovering news I have a problem with.

It's THE STORY in New York. They have TV stations and outlets like YES for that oversaturated coverage.
    But in Georgia, in Texas, in Montana, in Minnesota, in Oregon, in California, it's a 2 minute story and then, as Bubbler said, on to the LCS -- ya know, concerning teams actually still involved in the day to day preparation of baseball games.

Because it has a myopic view of the world, the WWL feels the need to out-YES YES.

5. JackS

JackS Member

Other than the M&MD simulcast, is YES even covering the Torre story? I figured they'd be too busy with Yankee Classics reruns and Centerstage interviews with Jay-Z.

6. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

Not only did I miss Monday's playing of "NFL films: Grim Reaper", because ESPN decided to blab for an hour at 3:30AM about T.O, I missed Today's showing because of the Torre press conference. WTF is the point of regular programming if you are not going to ever show it? Put this crap on ESPN2 or ESPN News. Isn't that what those channels are for?

<Puke>.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I thought it was the TO Network.

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

TO is so last week.

9. casty33

casty33 Active Member

And if you weren't interested, y'all could have switched to The Young And The Restless, or CNN's big story. Unless your TV doesn't change stations.

10. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

My tivo doesn't know any better.

11. Gold

Gold Active Member

C'mon Casty... the soap operas aren't as good drama as the Yankees off-season.

12. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Damn! I knew it.

Have to stay away from the TV, lest I get sucked into King Kong Keller, Tommy Henrich and Clete Boyer hell, mixed in with Phil Rizzuto for the Money Store commercials.

When I get off the road, I'm putting a block on my TV.

Draft saved Draft deleted