1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I miss the memo about ESPN morphing into the YES Network

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Birdscribe, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

I'm sitting here in a quiet media center at BIGHORN and -- lo and behold -- ESPN has turned into the YES Network.

Why didn't anyone tell me that ESPN became all-Yankee television? I thought that the breaking news that Joe Torre won't be fired could be covered in a three-minute story that didn't feature the words "You can't spell Joe Torre without Jeter."

After I threw up in my mouth, I regrouped just in time to wonder if Jeremy Schaap had better things to do that surgically affix himself to Joe Torre.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

What big sporting event did you miss out on that ESPN was supposed to cover at 1 p.m. on a Tuesday?

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Probably not. No

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Nothing, amazingly enough.

That little thing about spending 20-plus minutes on a story that could be covered in 3-4, plus Torre's presser (going on as I type this), equals more ESPN overkill on its pet stories.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Yankees players on a golf course or in front of a TV right now?

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would never deny that ESPN beats everything it does into the ground, but Torre's status is the biggest sports story in the country during this, the 1 p.m. hour. The NL and ALCS haven't started yet, no cares about the NHL and the NFL is off until Sunday.

Rumors have been flying for days about Torre and now -- after the Daily News, ESPN and every other outlet reported every rumor out of Tampa as if it were fact -- they have some actual news to report.

You don't like the Yankees. You don't like ESPN. Change the channel. All will be right with the world. Know what I mean?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

ESPN has been All-Yankees-Red Sox-Patriots-Notre Dame-Duke-Lakers-Heat, Kobe-Bonds-T.O., All The Time, for some time now.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No it isn't. Somewhere, on the other side of the Hudson, several million people don't give a shit.

8. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

It's a story. Torre's presser is a story -- a story worth a combined 10 minutes.

I know ESPN has acres of airtime to fill, but it's not an hour-long worthy story west of the Hudson.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Slaps, you can say that about any story. Very few stories will be cared about by the vast majority of the sports fans all across the nation. I think the fate of a manager who has an 11-year playoff run is pretty significant, tho I will say that if Bobby Cox's fate were up in the air, it wouldn't draw as much notice.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

After all, there must be some Big 10 highlights they can show for slappy.
    Or maybe the repeat of NFL Tonight that's running now was more important.
    Paintball, anyone?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Not saying it isn't a story, not saying it isn't The story.
    Saying it's not THE STORY. Most of America lives west of the Hudson. Suits don't understand that most people west of the Hudson dont' give a shit about the indepth coverage of the Yankees.
    And yeah, if anyone would deserve as much coverage, it would be Cox or even LaRussa. But it wont come close because WWL suits can't see past the far bank of the river

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Gimme some Scoop... I can't watch or read enuf of him

Draft saved Draft deleted