1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I just see Katherine Heigl ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Oct 31, 2013.

1. I would rank reality TV at the bottom for any former celebrity.

2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that's why it's stupid to say a pay cable show, especially one that isn't even the most popular on its network, is the biggest show in the world. Not enough people are ever going to regularly watch an HBO show for it to be the biggest comedy on the planet.

3. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

With Entourage, it's different. You have to figure several people signed up for HBO just to watch the show. Then there are the ratings skewers. It was a show people watched in groups, which could affect the ratings. People, I'm assuming some with Nielsen boxes, also found ways to watch it illegally online. Others just saw it at a bar.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Right, and all commercials are not created equal. Bill Hader is doing T-Mobile commercials. I'm guessing it's not because he can't find work.

With a couple notable exceptions (usually actors tied into franchises), actors are not getting the guaranteed money that they got 10 or so years ago.

It's hardly a secret that A-list stars have done ads that run overseas for crazy money. I get the sense that the money they're spending is so high that even A and B list actors can't turn down that kind of easy money.

5. Jake_Taylor

Yep, a few frat houses signing up for HBO to have Entourage watch parties made it the biggest show ever of all time in the history of the galaxy.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It depends... If you're a fading actor and you're looking to find consistent work, either as a host or those kind of gigs, a show like Dancing With the Stars can kickstart that. Joey Lawrence, Mario Lopez, Joey Fatone are just a handful of guys who have done this.

7. I'm not referring to serving as a host. I was thinking as a participant.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

There is a big difference between doing commercials where you are being yourself and those where you are playing a "character." My reference for commercials was the latter.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Using your "logic," then Sex and the City (10.6 million viewers for the finale) was three times better than Entourage (3.1m for the finale).

Also, did you know that Entourage wasn't even the biggest show on HBO the night of it's final episode? More 6 million people watched True Blood that same night and half decided Entourage's series finale wasn't worth seeing.

10. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Entourage's series finale was also a piece of shit and the final season was going that way long before that final episode. Hopefully the movie will remedy this.

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

No question. Once you do those, you're basically done for awhile as a human being. It's too much narcissism for one person to take.

12. Jake_Taylor

I can see how Dancing with the Stars or Celebrity Diving or whatever might be kind of a fun thing for those people to try. Peter Brady marries a Top Model contestant and lets cameras follow them around? Those shows happen when you know people will do anything for attention and a few bucks.

Draft saved Draft deleted