1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did I cross the line?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Platyrhynchos, Sep 24, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

The answer is no you did not cross any line. You pointed a relatively harmless spotting error to an official. If he corrected it, fine. If not, so the team had to go 11 yards for a first down.
    No big deal.

2. JLawson

JLawson Member

OK now this is really weird because I just read the original post last week and thought getting involved in the game was a bad idea. But then something very similar happened to me this week, I just didn't go out on a limb and involve myself, I was brought in. So I was on the sideline taking my notes/stats and the quarterback for Team A was trying to run away from a defender on first down and threw the ball away. The play ended and a few seconds later the refs huddled up and decided that the pass was illegal grounding and would be a loss of down, making it third down. OK that didn't make any sense to me or anyone else on the Team A sidelines (I was on their sidelines taking notes). Coach for Team A says "Don't you mean its second down?" Refs huddle then check with Team B stat guy, all of them had the incomplete pass on second down, making it third down now. Refs go to Team A side line ask for a stat guy, their only stat guy was a coach and the refs said they wanted an impartial person. Well here I am three yards away listening to what's going on, I happen to shake my head at the situation and one of the refs see me. They ask me what I had, which was that it should be second down, not third. Refs talk more and decide it's third down. Somehow I was the only impartial person to have the down right. I didn't voluntarily give up the info, but I still got pulled in regardless.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Let's put it another way:

You're driving home from work and a car runs a red light and T-bones someone driving through the intersection.

You're the only witness.

Now, do you "make" the news, as you say, or just report it?

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

The next time someone's life depends on the spot of a football, I'll intercede.

5. HandsomeHarley

OK, he didn't T-bone the guy, he just nicked the fender.

There. Happy? :D

6. HandsomeHarley

Covered a state playoff game in Oregon a few years ago.

Regis High School. Best team money can buy. Rich little private school -- you know the kind.

I was in the booth, along with one other reporter, the scoreboard operator and P.A. announcer (both Regis fans/parents).

I almost told them no cheering in the press box, they were getting so out of hand. Then this:

Penalty on Regis (gasp!). Refs line up the ball, yadda, yadda.

P.A. guy GETS ON THE MIC and says something to the effect of, "Refs, you have the ball in the wrong place!"

They didn't. And that was all I could take.

7. lawoman

lawoman New Member

Yes, you definitely crossed the line. It's sort of slightly mitigated by the fact that you asked a question vs. just pointing it out, or worse advocating for it. But yes, you crossed the line.

At the same time, as others have pointed out, it's not the most egregious line-crossing. If it's the worst you ever do, you'll be just fine. If it happens again, though, find a pressbox.

8. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

What this guys did is absolutely harmless and I would have done the same thing. I've seen stuff like this in high school football----one team at 30-yard line gets called for a 5-yard penalty and ball is moved back to the 35. Next play, defense is flagged for five, and the ball is placed at the 31. No one notices and play goes on---everyone was asleep at the wheel.

Also, wasn't it golf writer Michael Bamberger who had something to do with squealing on Michelle Wie a couple years ago when she did some sort of an illegal drop and later ended up getting DQ-ed in her first tournament as a pro??? Now THAT's questionable---one more example of Sports Illustrated inserting themsleves into a story and patting themselves on the back for it.

9. sportshack06

sportshack06 Member

I'd say crossing the lines, except for the fact that most high school officiating crews I've saw need help.

Latest blunder I've seen by a crew involved offsetting personal foul penalties. So instead of just signaling the penalties and signaling they offset, the officials signaled personal foul on the offense and marked off 20 yards. Then after marking off the incorrect yardage, they signal personal foul on the defense and marked off 15 yards.

10. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Not a huge deal but, yes, crossing the line. Just like at a high school basketball game if the scorebooks don't match up on fouls or a basket is counted as a 3 when it wasn't. If you're asked, go ahead and tell the refs or whoever else what you have. If you're not asked, feel free to include it in your story if it ends up affecting the game.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Man, what I don't get about this is that, in my neck of the woods, the spot of the ball gets messed up on almost every play. Rarely by a huge amount, but a yard or two here. Is it that rare for you?

12. boots

boots New Member

I've seen guys tossed for less. You were lucky. I wouldn't make a habit of getting involved. Glad you were able to continue doing your job, some Zebs can be pricks. Be careful.

Draft saved Draft deleted