1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Fox sideline reporter really not know Bill Walsh is dead?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Oct 27, 2008.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

She actually asked him if he spoke to George Halas before his first game as Niners coach.

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Papa Bear once was Papa Niner?

3. markvid

markvid Guest

And, oh...Mikey claims he didn't know that the interview didn't air...
    Yes, because most interviews stop mid-sentence with the interviewer putting her hand in front of the camera to stop and redo.
    Mikey is a douche and a liar. Period.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

She screwed up, but it wasn't live and never should've been public. Big deal.

I went to a conference media day and asked a player how tough his rehab was. He didn't know what the fuck I was talking about, because I had him confused for someone else who blew out his knee. I could probably think of more examples if you give me a minute.

We've all been that guy. We all have our moments where our brain takes five at a bad time. This one never should've gone public, so I feel for her.

5. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Nothing like having Furman Bisher ask Cal Ripken Jr. as his farewell tour hit Turner Field how his dad was doing. Cal Sr. had been among the non-breathing for a couple of years at that point.
    A previous stop of mine, before I had gotten there, had killed off in print a notable coach before the coach's demise (and I think that coach may, in fact, still be alive). Not pretty. Not pretty at all. As the SE, who is 6-foot-4, said, I got cussed out by someone a foot shorter (the current coach at the time) and had to take it.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

It's the same as any of us writers sending a story with the score wrong or with Joe Shmo misidentified as Bob Shmo or whatever. The desk fixes it and it never gets in the paper and that's the end of the story.

I'd hate for all of my raw-copy mistakes to wind up on youtube.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It's funny how some in the media are rallying around her and claiming mistake should have never aired.

If an athlete or politician made the same mistake you can bet that they would not get the same courtesy.

Clearly she had no idea who Bill Walsh ways.

8. markvid

markvid Guest

I always find it ironic when posts ripping someone for a mistake contain one.

:D

9. Once had a fellow reporter refer to a Dolphin in preseason as Jim Jensen (as in "Jim, can we talk to you for a second?") when it wasn't Jim Jensen. At all. Obviously, this goes back a ways.

Anybody who's ever had a mic in their hands for any length of time will have a brain fade. It may have been spin after the fact for her to say that Walsh was one of the people he spoke to when he first got into coaching, but it may be true. That said, she hasn't built up a track record (at least, not a positive one) yet.

I think we've all also had off-air/never-got-into-print moments that, if they ever reached air or print, would show us to be....human.

Draft saved Draft deleted