1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Did Dan Rather Invent a Source When He Broke the Death of JFK?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by LanceyHoward, May 17, 2024.

1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Did Dan Ratber send out a fangirl tweet about the Nuggets?

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Living with Elvis and Dale Earnhardt.

wicked likes this.
  3. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

It was Dr. (Roger) Mudd

Liut likes this.
  4. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

LOL. That's really good inside humor. Seriously, I read a Mudd book not too long ago. I think it's entitled The Place To Be. The book is almost entirely about his time at CBS. IIRC, he and Rather patched things up a bit in later years.

garrow likes this.
  5. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

It is something I have long wondered. And I just watched the movie Parkland, which purports to be a true story of what happened at the hospital after the shooting. They had a scene where someone marches into the switchboard and demands an open line. It got me to thinking about how chaotic that telephone room must have been and yet Rather calls in and the switchboard operator transfers him to a good source.

Last edited: May 18, 2024
    WriteThinking and Liut like this.
  6. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

“COURAGE.”

garrow likes this.
  7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

This is not a theory. It's only a hypothesis with no evidence backing it up.

What proof do you offer?

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Fair enough. It is a hypothesis, not a theory. But Rather says himself that he was at the KRLD news room. And Eddie Barker of KRLD, who was broadcasting from the Trade Mart, where Kennedy was supposed to speak, had gone on the air and reported Kennedy was dead. Barker's source was a Parkland doctor who was attending the event and had called the emergency room.

I have no evidence that Rather did not make the call. only speculation.

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No, he was too busy asking Cronkite what he should wear.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

End of thread.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

I read that too. Recalled Mudd ripped Dan for always using a ghostwriter for his books (often Mickey Herskowitz).

Liut likes this.
  12. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

No doubt Gary Paul Gates wrote most, if not all, of The Palace Guard, but Gates did get a co-author credit. He and Rather were tight. The latter was a major source for Airtime. Both books are very good, IMHO.

garrow likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted