1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick's 1994 view on Iraq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Aug 13, 2007.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Yes, but I can define liberal. A liberal believes that the state is the best vehicle for combating social ills (i.e. poverty) and delivering key social necessities (education, health care, etc.). They generally believe that high taxes are not a problem as long as those social issues are being addressed. They are much less concerned about history and tradition than conservatives, who as Wm. F. Buckley put it, are "Standing athwart history, yelling Stop."

But can the people who throw around the term neo-conservative define it?

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Most people who throw around liberal as an insult don't know what it means, PDB. They wouldn't know a real liberal if one bit them on the ass. Hell, they fucking claim Hillary Clinton and her husband are liberals, which they are not and never have been.

Same thing with most of those who throw out neocon as insult.

3. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

wrong

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think he chooses to play the part.

5. So, according to you, Your Holiness, conservatives are more concerned about history than liberals, but nonetheless want it to stop?

6. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

My explanation was inartfully phrased, I readily admit. Conservatives are much more likely to abide by precedent, that tradition exists for a reason and we should be very reluctant to set aside tradition -- which is what Buckley was saying when he wrote "Standing athwart history, yelling Stop." Liberals are much more likely to set aside tradition for what they believe is progress.

I also am eagerly awaiting Poo and Tomas to give me definitions of liberal AND neoconservative as they use both terms. I have been forced to wait for so long to hear their wisdom that I know their explanations will be mind-blowing.

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

enough baiting, dipshit. answer the original question or go fuck yourself.

8. Point of Order

I'd respectfully ask you to go back and re-read my post on page one and try to derive some meaning from its context. I think a workable definition of neoconservatism, at least as it relates to foreign policy, can be derived directly from the context.

To suggest I don't know what a neocon is...??? Knowing a neocon foreign policy idea when you hear it is like knowing a poisonous snake from a non-poisonous one: It's essential to create proper fear and respect. I thought this whole war was just an unfortunate clusterfuck until I realized it wasn't. It was the plan all along.

In short, neocons promote the idea of preemption, which has been quite a FUBAR. That was my whole point, and no one on this thread has yet disagreed.

9. OK, granting you this, which I do not except for the sake of discussion, then my definition of "neoconservative" becomes anyone advocating the concept of "preemptive war" -- a concept rejected by American conservatives all the way back to JQ Adams -- against a country who did not attack us, and doing so in an uninformed, wishful way as to lead us into an endless quagmire looking for magic ponies that do not exist.
    I also have some thoughts about the history and things like the Fourth Amendment.

10. Point of Order

11. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1771556

12. Point of Order

Hilarious! I was wondering what my MBA classmates were up to.

Draft saved Draft deleted