1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick's 1994 view on Iraq

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Tom Petty, Aug 13, 2007.

1. cortez

cortez Member

It's too bad Cheney doesn't work for Mattel

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I'm not sure Cheney's view has been modified at all (except for public consumption). The leading proponent of this war envisioned its exact consequences. These neoconservatives led by Cheney believe what's happening in Iraq RIGHT NOW is a good thing.

(You can see a partial list of them here, alleged anti-Semitism notwithstanding: http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/posts/1250222/)

They want to INVADE Iran. These are people with dangerous ideas. They are still purveying this idea with at least some degree of success (see also: Rudy Giuliani's campaign for president. See also: Fox News, The Weekly Standard, The Washington Post's Charles Krautheimer, etc.) People need to understand the FULL EXTENT of the Neocon view of the world and decide now whether they will accept its basic tenants.

There is not only an ongoing tragic war, there is a war of ideas that underlies the war that still has credibility in some circles. Every American needs to know this.

Do I think Haliburton has a great deal to do with this? Yes, but I think there's more to it. The Neocons believe that we NEED a permanent military presence in the Middle East. They believe we NEED the world's largest embassy there, too. They see the implied threat of China on the world's oil reserves and say "We have to get it before they do." They have a basic philosophy of foreign policy that has some merit on its face, but has been a DISASTER in practice. They will continue to push their agenda with an eye towards the 2008 election.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

order - you seldom disappoint.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Indeed, a quality, cogent answer -- one which leaves the house apologists silent.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

So you agree with POO that nearly all of the world's most extremist non-muslims could hold their meeting in a snyagogue?

6. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Over 12 hours with nothing but crickets, and 24 hours before a presumably (neo?)conservative response, and still waiting for a response on the substance of my post.

Let's just have a public debate on the merits and take it to the polls in November 2008 - then we'll see how many people who once pledged they'd "never" vote for Hillary pull the lever for her. I used to be one of the "never" crowd, but as I view it now I'd vote for her in a half a heartbeat over anyone who doesn't disclaim a neocon (ahhhhhemRudyGiulianicoughcoughcough) world view.

7. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

POO-

What's a neocon?

8. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I'll say this for the substance of your post: Pat Buchanan would agree with every word of it.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Oh, coooooooome on.

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

???????????

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'll let order address that post, but, if i may ask, what do you think of dick's words on the link?

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Example 9412 of deliberate obfuscation, used in a lame attempt to deflect the point.

Most of us have grown up, well past this. Please proceed.

Draft saved Draft deleted