1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Schaap

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RazorShines, Oct 25, 2006.

1. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I believe the man himself prefers "hermit," but no one has heard from him in so long there's no telling. He and J.D. Salinger may, in fact, be the same man. At least that's what Tom Pynchon told me.

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Try a Ouija board.

3. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Man, I read that, and to me it came off as much more ham-handedly loaded with look-at-me attitude than he EVER had while namedropping on his TV show.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Don't disagree with you, Mr. Falk, but to me, the book was, like, "This is who I am, and
    this is how I like to operate, and I don't much care whether you like it or not."

Right out of the Bing Crosby / Dean Martin playbook.

Different strokes.

I couldn't stand the endless namedropping, either, and the guy was New York-centric
    beyond reason, but some of the stories were great.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Don't get me wrong... I LOVED his namedropping as additive to his wonderful oral story-telling skills.

That BOOK, though.... just a little clumsily done for my taste.

6. shockey

shockey Active Member

one thing i could never get out of my head about schaap, this supposedly great reporter, was that he was sued for the magazine piece he did on a former yankee reliever who had a big drinking problem. problem was, the guy he interviewed and wrote about WAS AN IMPOSTER.

oops!!

sorry, that hurt his street cred with me.

Draft saved Draft deleted