1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Martin, RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, May 24, 2008.

1. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madanes,

Alan Sues doing Big Al's Sports in gay camp. Love that bell ...

The complete cast and guest list:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062601/fullcredits#cast

Sports content: Joe Namath (natch) and Wilt (ditto) did turns. Roman Gabriel and Vin Scully as LA content, yup. But Bill Shoemaker (!) and Bill Russell (!!) surprise me.

Dick Martin seemed to have a good time anytime I watched him--pretty tipsy (or how he played it, anyway). Dan Rowan cheated death by running with a mobster's moll.

YD&OHS, etc

2. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

say good night Dick.

Henry Gibson was the chief Nazi in The Blues Brothers. He also has done a turn recently as a judge on Boston Legal.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Torontonians of a certain vintage (hi, JR and FOTF) may remember those hilarious Baseball 101 ads Arte Johnson did for the Jays in their first season. Well, they were funny for a 12-year-old Huggy anyway....

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He was also in Magnolia, and dozens of other movies.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The thing I remembered about "Laugh-In"was the jokes kept coming, even through the closing credits. You had to watch all the way through.

I too watched the "Laugh-In" reruns on Trio. Wish I had gotten my TiVo before then.

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

Wasn't he the reverend that Vince Vaughn shared a drink with in "Wedding Crashers?"

7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Veeeeery interesting....but stupid!

Loved that line....should be the motto of SJ.

My parents wouldn't let me watch, so I would make sure I was at my friend's house when Laugh-In was on. I wanted to be the sock-it-to-me girl.

Great show, SNL before its time.....Lorne Michaels was the lead writer.

8. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The two things that stick out the most in my hazy little-boy memory of Laugh-In are:
    1) Sammy Davis walking around in a black robe, saying, "Here come da judge, here come da judge. Look out y'all, cause here come da judge."
    2) Being frightened by the size of JoAnn Worley's mouth. Cavernous.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yes, he was.

10. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Amazing to look at the list of guests....pure sixties.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0062601/fullcredits#cast

11. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Dick Martin was also a quality comedy writer and producer, as well as a frequent Match Game guest along with wife Dolly.
    (By the way, there will be a Match Game marathon on Game Show Network from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday.)

Good night, Dick.

12. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Was in my late teens in 1968. Used to pray every night that Goldie Hawn would sock it to me. God, I had a crush on her. Thanks for the memories, Dick, and good night.

Draft saved Draft deleted