1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Martin, RIP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Claws for Concern, May 24, 2008.

1. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

From AP:

Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.

Martin, who went on to become one of television's busiest directors after splitting with Dan Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

To those of you who are not old enough to remember "Laugh-In," Dan Rowan and Dick Martin revolutionized television comedy/satire in the late '60s.

Dick Martin was an increidbly funny, talented guy ... who also happened to marry a Playmate of the Year. Damn, that's a good life.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

I also think Martin was "with" Rowan's daughter for a time.

4. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

While this was at the dawn of my television viewing level of awareness, I do remember that getting home in time to watch Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In was Priority I, I-A, II, III and down the line for my dad. This was the first "Must See" TV I remember.

I had no idea what they were saying, but I remember the opening doors with the quips, Gary Owens narrating and Arte Johnson riding the trike. And I remember Dick Martin and Dan Rowan standing in front, trading barbs.

This show was the American Idol of its day and I remember Dick Martin and his tux holding court for it.

Eighty-six. Geez.

RIP

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He directed quite a bit of Newhart too.. funny man.. sorry to see him gone...

6. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

He also had the unenviable task of holding down Richard Dawson's old chair on "Match Game."

He really seemed to enjoy himself, and that in and of itself is quite an accomplishment.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not revolutionary in the way The Smothers Brothers show was, but very evolutionary. Launched the careers of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin. It did end badly when the big names started going away and Jud Strunk and Moosie Dryer got big chunks of air time. Garry Owens rooled.

8. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

9. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

A few years ago, I got hooked on the old Laugh-In reruns on the now-defunct Trio network, then checked IMDB at the time and learned that while Martin was still with us, Dan Rowan had died in 1987. I recall being surprised that Dick was still around and remarked then that the day he left us would be a sad day.

And it is. Dick, alas, has said goodnight one last time. RIP and thanks for the laughs.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

"Say goodnight, Dick."
    "Goodnight Dick."

And I can't believe the Nixon thing was a million-dollar question on Millionaire. More like an $8,000 one, if that.

11. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

"Laugh In" was a phenomenon for a couple of years, contributing all sorts of catch phrases like "Beautiful Downtown Burbank" and "Verrry interesting" and "sock it to me" and "You bet your sweet bippy." They overwhelmed the NBC censors because they literally did a couple of jokes every minute and got away with some things just because the volume of material was staggering.

Some of the people like Ruth Buzzi and JoAnn Worley rode the show to a 30-year run on game shows and "Love Boat" guest shots. Others, like Alan Sues and Henry Gibson, just faded away.

I don't know how long the show lasted, but in 1968 and at least part of '69, it was the hottest thing on TV.

I suspect it will be a big part of the inevitable 40-year retrospectives that run this year.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted