1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Ebersol Out at NBC

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 21, May 19, 2011.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Uncle Phil's take.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/taped_olympics_and_xfl_tarnish_ebersol_Uc4uiCUvP6wsmUFfQFcTVJ

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Now that Ebersol's NBC career is plausibly dead, we are grateful.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

I don't know, I guess it's possible that two co-workers at two different gigs in two different states who knew Ebersol in two different worlds conspired to make shit up to cloud my viewpoint of Dick Ebersol, so that I could disappoint a coffee machine salesman on a site for sports journalists in 2011. I guess that makes sense.

Again, you're a big shot who knows a lot of important people. Why don't you ask around about Dick Ebersol, and report back here. But wait, didn't I ask you to do that on Girardi? And that hasn't happened. Because I was right, and the only person on a site for sports journalists defending Girardi is the one who sells coffee machines.

There are plenty of good guys, but why would I list them here? So you could mock me some more? Maybe one of my good guys doesn't drink coffee, which would prove that he's a bad guy.

Again. I don't go to coffeeguys.com and look for ways to insult you and what you do/used to do. I would expect likewise from you, but I guess that was too much to ask.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I just want to piss on this guy's career one more time on this thread. What a horrible, horrible job he did with the Olympics, and a whole host of other NBC sports products.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

C'mon, don't be so sensitive. I'm not trying to criticize you personally, and I have no issues with you.

I have no idea who you are or what you do, but from your board persona, I'd say you're a good guy.

My only point is that it's a little unfair to label anybody a "bad guy" or a "really bad guy" based on one or two anecdotes.

Maybe Ebersol & Girardi are the two worst guys on the planet. (And maybe Larry Kudlow is number three.)

Without more evidence, I'll choose to remain agnostic on the matter or to rely on my own experiences with various individuals.

6. YankeeFan

Oh, and I hate what he did to Olympic coverage as much as the next guy. And Mushnick's right, the XFL was a disgrace.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

But no XFL, then no "He Hate Me"

8. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's part of beej's charm to go all over the top about someone, as if that person had boffed his wife. Perfectly harmless.

9. YankeeFan

I get that. I think it's sort of funny. So, I don't understand why he gets pissed off at me if I point that out.

10. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There's no doubt he ruined and dumbed down Olympics viewing the past 25 years. Why not appeal to the sports fan AND Aunt Mildred? Show stuff live, then do all the up close and personal and prepackaged jingoistic stuff for prime time. This isn't 1988 anymore.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

The irony is that his mentor - Roone Arledge appealed to the sports fan.

Too bad that Joe Posnankski did not delve into that with him in his interview.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Because SportsJournalists.com is about airing grievances and blowing off steam about the assholes with whom we deal, yet you act like I'm the only one who has ever bad-mouthed a guy with whom I had a bad experience. You don't go after anyone else. You condescendingly dismiss my experiences as too small a sample size or irrelevant (code for "you're a small-timer who doesn't matter"), yet when further evidence is provided, you go strangely silent. Did you read the Mushnick piece on Ebersol linked above? I suppose you think he's being silly or oversensitive or inconsequential too.

I've interacted with plenty of jerks. I only rant about a very small percentage. Which is a good thing, b/c otherwise you'd get nothing done running around here and mocking me for my bruised feelings.

Draft saved Draft deleted