1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Clark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

That would be one Cat Deeley, matey.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_Deeley

That Wiki photo isn't flattering at all, but she is quite Deeley-licious in others. You just have to fight through her Beemingum accent.

2. JackS

JackS Member

I agree with those that say he was better than last year, but that's two straight years now that he's screwed up the countdown.

Let's keep Dick on the show but let Ryan do the countdown. You can cut to Dick kissing his wife.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Can't they play a recording of Dick doing the countdown from his healthier days? It is that difficult? C'mon, ABC.

Dick, I respect everything you've done in showbiz, but man, show some pride.

4. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Anybody hear Opie and Anthony today? They absolutely KILLED Dick Clark, mocking his slurred speech, wandering thoughts and inability to keep up with the countdown, at one point calling him "Ol' Blood on the Brain". Really sad.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

What the fuck is O & A trying to do? Get kicked off of satellite radio, too?

If I'm ABC, I'll keep Dick as host emeritus and let him do his thing. As far as the countdown, if Dick is unable to do it (though I could care less about if he botches it up, just listening to him is special in itself), I wouldn't have anyone do it. Just put the clock on the screen as the ball drops down and let the crowd cheer. That would be the appropriate thing to do.

6. CitizenTino

Yeah, they were awful with that. At the end of the bit, one of them gave a half-assed "Look, we're glad he's still alive and recovering from his stroke, but get him off the TV on New Year's", but I really don't think that makes up for attacking the guy on air for more than 15 minutes straight.

Calling him "Ol' Blood on the Brain" and saying "his brain probably looked like a meatloaf with too much sauce on it" was just wrong.

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Opie and Anthony are self-serving, vicious assholes. They make Howard Stern seem like the Queen of England.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Then why did you listen to it? XM has, like, 200 other channels.

9. boots

boots New Member

I'll bet you weren't even alive to see Willie Mays in the 73 series. I was. He was old but a rookie could've done what he did and it wouldn't have been a probelem. People had a problem with Willie because it wasn't the Willie Mays they had been used to seeing.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Now we know Boots is really old. :D

From the clips, I never thought the Mays play was bad in the sense that he was senile. He lost the ball. Manny Ramirez has had much worse expeditions in left field at Fenway.

11. CitizenTino

I don't have XM. A three-hour part of O & A's satellite show from the morning is played during the afternoon here on a regular station. Apparently, CBS Radio struck some sort of a deal to get part of their show.

As for why I was listening to it, there's not a lot of good stuff on here during the afternoon drive, I didn't have my CDs in the car and I was scanning through the channels. I happened to listen to the show for a minute, was floored by what I was hearing, and from there, it was more like a car wreck than anything else - you don't want to look, but you can't turn away.

12. boots

boots New Member

But you got to admit, the meatloaf line, while wrong, was funny.

Draft saved Draft deleted