1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Clark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Actually, I think she's moved on from her smelly whore phase.

2. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Um yeah, it's called marrige. Works for some people.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For you old timers:

Dick Clark is older now than Guy Lombardo when he died.

For those that don't remember. Before New Year's Rockin Eve, there was Guy Lombardo and his big band , The Royal Canadiens, on New Year's Eve from the Waldorf Astoria Hotel In New York. He played music your grandparents could dance to, think a sophisticated Lawrence Welk.

4. boots

boots New Member

BYH, what the fuck did you expect him to say, it's the worst New Year's Eve? Hey some of those talking about him will be fortunate to get to half of where he is on the age meter.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

That spnited didn't make this post ranks as my greatest disappointment of the year.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

No, I didn't expect him to say it's the worst New Years Eve. But watching an obviously hobbled man say it's the best New Years Eve ever--mostly because that's what he says every year at this time--was sad.

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Dick Clark is just another guy who doesn't know when to get off the stage. It's no different than watching Willie Mays in the 73 Series, a once-great performer whose struggles make you cringe, then become very sad.

8. shockey

shockey Active Member

i believe i began a similar post last year after dick's new year's eve deal. i remember "american bandstand" in the '60s. i'm one of the elders here.

and i, too, find dick's appearnces on "new year's" -- post-stroke -- sad and depressing enough to watch the drop elsewhere. i'd welcome dick doing other things in the public eye if he chooses, but contend "new year's eve" should no longer be his time. i find it incredibly sad and self-indulgent at a time of year we're all supposed to feel hopeful and celebratory.

i'm thrilled that dick's battling back. i just don't want to see his work-in-progress rehab when i'm supposed to be joyous.

i guess that's why there's a remote control, eh? but even checking briefly and seeing him this way is no spirits-lifter. sorry to those who find his fight to be uplifting. i do, too -- at any other half-minute of the year.

9. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I'll take an ailing Dick Clark and a wannabe cool AND mature Carson Daly than that no-talent ass clown hack we call Ryan Seacrest. Throw in the late Johnny Carson and Guy Lombardo to do NYE and I'll be happy.

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

[/quote]I'll take an ailing Dick Clark and a wannabe cool AND mature Carson Daly than that no-talent ass clown hack we call Ryan Seacrest. Throw in the late Johnny Carson and Guy Lombardo to do NYE and I'll be happy.

[/quote]

the question should be: why are there no better options given to us?

11. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

We had on CNN earlier in the evening. They did a telecast for midnight in the Eastern and Central zones. It wasn't too bad--they showed the Drag Queen Drop in Key West.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

A futile attempt on Seasick's part to convince the viewing audience that he's not light in the loafers.

Draft saved Draft deleted