1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dick Clark

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by BYH, Dec 31, 2006.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, he sounded terrible.

It's sad seeing him talk about how this is the greatest New Years Eve ever and how fast time has gone. I know it's his company and he turned this night into a television event so he can do what he wants, but seeing him on the most celebratory night of the year is not exactly appropriate.

2. markvid

markvid Guest

I actually thought he didn't sound as bad as last year.
    And it seems like he got control of his hands back.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

His countdown was sad. He was mixing numbers up and then was a second off. It made me want to cry.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

I agree he sounds better than last year, Mark, but how could he not?

He still looks helpless. Very sad.

Spup, I wondered if he was right and the countdown is on a delay. Our clocks were a few seconds ahead of the ABC countdown.

5. markvid

markvid Guest

I know what you mean, BYH, he's nowhere near where he was.

Also, dependent on how you see ABC or any of the others (satellite, cable, off-air), you're always going to be anywhere from 1-4 seconds ahead of the network.

6. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

I changed the channel. I counted down the new year with Carson Daly. Only marginally less sad than Dick.

7. Clerk Typist

Clerk Typist Guest

Hey, he skipped from 11 to 9 to catch up and was on the mark at the finish. Good for him. Could any of us do as well after a stroke?

8. markvid

markvid Guest

But I was always confused as to why they would say it was a minor stroke and then let him on the air like that last year.
    Had they said it was major and he's got a lot of work ahead of him, that would have been a whole different situation.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

He isn't reaching Mary Hulman George at the 90s Indy 500 level yet though, has he?

Now THAT was sad to the point of being exploitive.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Like with heart attacks ... There ain't nothing minor about a stroke.

11. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I can't even imagine. Even if he's not what he used to be, it's good to see him on New Year's Eve, because at least that means he's still with us.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Agreed. I'll take Dick Clark this way rather than not at all. And if he wants to be there, it's his prerogative.

Draft saved Draft deleted