1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diana Krall

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dawgpounddiehard, Feb 12, 2007.

1. Cape_Fear

Cape_Fear Active Member

An ex in college turned me on to Holly Cole. Her album of Tom Waits covers is great.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

I loves me some Holly Cole, and not just 'cause she's cute. She's a very talented and very innovative artist. She's not straight-up jazz; some of her stuff is more pop and that's fine.

As for Monheit, big thumbs-up here. She "gets it"...she understands what being a jazz vocalist is about and has the pipes to make it happen. She shows you don't have to have a smoky, Sarah Vaughn-type voice to be sultry...that can be done in the upper register as well.

There have been faltering discussions of jazz recently in the music thread.

3. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Also a Monheit fan, though some of my more stodgy friends don't like her ... find her too corporate. Will check out Holly Cole. Carol Welsman is one I'll throw out there. Good Canadian with a good deal of soul in her voice.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holly_Cole

As I mentioned, not a jazz singer per se, but her stuff's rooted in jazz and she's a great entertainer.

I like "Blame It On My Youth" and "Don't Smoke In Bed" best. And we're real far from Christmas, but "Baby It's Cold Outside" is a very nice thing to have in the old CD player come holiday season.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I like that song of hers - "where have all the cowboys gone" ;)

Diana Krall hit the big time when Bill Clinton annointed her. No doubt he had other ideas for her.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

As someone who adores Billie Holliday, Sara Vaughn, Ella, Jo Stafford, Keeley Smith, etc., I like Ms. Krall just fine. And those legs ... They're Sara Evans quality.

7. maberger

maberger Member

diane schur, anyone?

8. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

On the positive side Diana Krall is married to Elvis Costello, so she gets points there.

(I prefer the work of the previous wife, Cait O'Riordan of the Pogues.)

9. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

Points for his musical stylings, sure -- but he's a fugly mofo, so you have to question her physical taste in men.

10. zaphod

zaphod New Member

A little slack for Ms. Krall, please. The sainted Billie Holiday she is not, but no one was or is. And while no one would ever hold this against her, Billie Holiday did not also play the piano as she sang, as Diana Krall does, quite ably. She swings very nicely. Try "Devil May Care" from the "Live in Paris" CD.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I can't stand this woman. I really can't. I echo JR's thoughts.

Sorry to be negative on her, dawgp. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted