1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Diabetes creeping up on women

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by indiansnetwork, Sep 27, 2006.

1. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Diabetes can be a very troubling disease which has many complications from poor circulation, eye problems and heart disease. This is just another example of how Americans are unaware how easy it is to become Type II diabetic. The good thing is that with proper diet and exercise you can avoid Type II diabetes.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060927/ap_on_he_me/fit_women_diabetes

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Diabetes creeping up on woman

Which woman?

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Re: Diabetes creeping up on woman

I checked behind me. It's not me.

Phew.

4. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Umm ... we read the wire and, occasionally, newspapers.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Do you think we're freaking stupid? I mean most of us have university degrees and are fairly intelligent. We also work in an industry that desiminates information. I'd bet the vast majority of us are better informed than the average American, even about things like diabetes, and I find this thread rather insulting. The vast majority of us aren't bloody ignorant.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Some of us, apparently, are English however. :D

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Quite so, lass. And I don't really understand the vitriol over this.

8. sportschick

He doesn't like it when I use naughty words, so I was trying to use something else. Maybe I should just use fuck from now on :D

9. indiansnetwork

Really, did you know the process starts with insulin resistance first and at this point you can easily reverse the process. Maybe you could read the article and learn something, instead you chose to act threatened and or insulted. Oh, I am sure you know about type II Diabetes but you don't understand the process or how to avoid it. This was about sharing information that can be usefull in your life. If you gave some time to read it you just might find out how to help your friends, family or co-workers to avoid type II diabetes. Education is the key to good health and without knowledge you are powerless to change your postions in life.

desiminates? Did you mean disseminates?

Definition
    disseminate
    verb [T] FORMAL
    to spread or give out something, especially news, information, ideas, etc., to a lot of people:
    One of the organization's aims is to disseminate information about the disease.

10. sportschick

Given that my grandmother had diabetes, yes I knew that all shit. Go fuck yourself.

11. indiansnetwork

Given that your grandmother has diabetes you should care more about this issue and educate yourself further about the process and how you can be virtually cured with proper diet and exercise. That is given her body still makes insulin to began with. Most diabetics still produce insulin but because of the insulin resistance their body is not able to absorb it so the pancress stops producing it which leads to spiking of the blood sugar levels. It is sort of like have a clogged pipe attached to a pump with backpressure. When the pressure is correct the pump will push fluids through the pipe but when the pressure is less or greater than it should be it stops or slows down. One key ways to avoid or reduce insulin resistance is exercise because it increases blow flow which reduces the plaque that had built up in the veins and blood vessels which will provide a surface for insulin to be absorbed into the body. Exercise also helps the body eliminate toxins out of the body by sweating which can help balance the immune system and endocrine systems.

Physiology

The endocrine system provides an electrochemical connection from the hypothalamus of the brain to all the organs that control body metabolism, growth and development, and reproduction.

There are two types of hormones secreted in the endocrine system: (1) steroidal and (2) nonsteroidal, or protein based hormones. Signal transduction of some hormones with steroid structure involves nuclear hormone receptor proteins that are a class of ligand activated proteins that, when bound to specific sequences of DNA serve as on-off switches for transcription within the cell nucleus. These switches control the development and differentiation of skin, bone and behavioral centers in the brain, as well as the continual regulation of reproductive tissues. They also bind to receptor sites, and activate second messenger systems for more rapid responses. Nonsteriodal hormones bind to receptor sites on the external surface of the cell membrane and use a second messenger method of altering internal cell functions, by altering the pathways already existing in the cells, by activating or deactivating enzymes which modify existing proteins.

The endocrine system regulates its hormones through negative feedback. Increases in hormone activity decrease the production of that hormone. The immune system and other factors contribute as control factors also, altogether maintaining constant levels of hormones.

12. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

either do I dooley, it's a thread about diabetes awareness.

Draft saved Draft deleted