1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFW suburban chain bankrupt

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Football_Bat, May 1, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

http://blogs.dallasobserver.com/unfairpark/2009/05/no_more_friday_night_lights_as.php

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'd buy the mesquite news if they'd sell. looked into it once and got a very cold shoulder. guess i'm a sucker for still believing you can make money from a community newspaper.

3. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

If it ever went up for sale and I could rustle up the money, I'd buy my hometown weekly.
    So scribe, you aren't the only sucker for community papers.

4. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Count me in as thinking you can make a living — which is different than making millions — at owning a newspaper, community, major metro or otherwise.

I think I could make a go of my hometown weekly.

5. daytonadan1983

daytonadan1983 Well-Known Member

Kevin Hageland's a good guy. Does/Did a great job with Plano and keeping the sports sections of all those papers together.

6. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

DMN gets rid of almost all of its prep writers, Plano paper shit cans its Saturday edition. Hmmmmm, hyper local strategy not working so well, is it guys? Any names for the new strategy? Hyper desperation? Hyper bottom line?

7. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Just hyperventilating.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

I believe it, too.
    There's money to be made a stories that need to be published by smaller papers.
    Big ones are in trouble.

9. highlander

highlander Member

All those sports sections? Which ones? There are maybe 15 sports sections in that chain.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

When do you take vacation? Unless you start hiring people left and right. But, I have found everyone who wants to buy their community weekly wants to be the publisher, editor and writer.

To put out a product that I would be proud of, and to make ends meet, it would be impossible for someone to do both. Perhaps a news blog would work, but an outright printed paper would require a lot of experience.

And, what about vacation? Do you close down for a month and ot print in the summer?

That's just

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

As someone else pointed out, just count this in another bump in the road of DFW preps coverage going down the tube. Sure, it's not the Cowboys, but an awful lot of folks I know there have high school football as their No. 1 priority.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Classic case of a de facto truce by attrition. The DMN made a big push into Collin County a few years ago with a zoned edition, with lots of extra pages. They were even doing subvarsity roundups. Then the circulation folks got caught cooking the books, and the retreat began. Now that the war is over, the troops at the community papers are standing down.

Draft saved Draft deleted