1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

DFM bloodletting continues

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by FileNotFound, Jan 16, 2018.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Unlike other industries that have authentic awards.

2. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

Don't screw up and the team won't heckle you about it on Twitter. And, for the record, that girl needs to grow a pair. Give me a break. They were obviously playing around.

3. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Is that a trans joke?

4. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Well-Known Member

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

6. Reddy235

Reddy235 Member

Also rarely mentioned: lazy, unionized reporters and editors who phone it in daily. Reporter to editor: "So what's the plan today?" Editor: "14 inch gamer, 8 inch notebook." Reporter: "Roger that."

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Your example makes zero sense. If you're told to do a 14-inch gamer and an 8-inch notebook, that's what the fuck you do. And that is very much what might fit in the budget for the day.

You need better than that. And why the hate for the foot soldiers, anyway? They cost you a scholarship?

BurnsWhenIPee likes this.
  8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

Do nonunionized reporters really turn out better copy? How did you determine this?

9. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

So you hate The Athletic and unionized shops? You must keep your local ax grinder in business by yourself.

10. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

Interesting that the DFM apparently has instituted a "hard" paywall a la the WSJ and the Boston Globe. At $2.50 a week for each individual paper is a price point that is not worth it to me. I would pay maybe $1.50 a week for access to 4 papers the Daily Breeze, LA Daily News, Long Beach Press Telegram and OC Register which would include a lot of overlap.

11. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

I thought the Globe charges $30 a month. If so I guess the Herald is trying to get in on the low end.

I have also read that the Globe has 100,000 digital subscribers at that price, which I fund astounding given the abject failure of virtually every other local paper to see e-subscriptions.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  12. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted